Shanks!

Scott1505

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having suffered badly all year with my short game costing me a number of shots off my handicap this year i went to the practice ground to try and work out what was going on.

My problem has been anything with my GW or higher i will 9 times out of 10 shank it. Which as we know is a horrible feeling.

So hit a few balls to warm up with a 7 iron until i was hitting it sweet each time then switch to my wedge and sure enough the shanks come.

So i tried lining the ball up just outside the toe and started hittng crisp pitch shots every time. So with that in mind i thought i was maybe standing too close to the ball which is causing my shanks. So moved a small step away from the ball lined it up and all was good.

My question is though by doing this am i just putting a plaster on a fault with my swing or does standing to close to the ball encourage a shank? Any help much appreciated.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
No, you were probably standing too close and leaving the hands nowhere to go other than away from your body - shank.

Allow a few inches between the hands and the thighs at set up so you have some space to swing the hands into.

Scott1505

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is definately the answer i am looking for. :D

If i sort out this problem i can easily shave another couple of shots off the handicap. Only problem is i am sure the next problem is just around the corner! :eek:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You could be getting a bit 'armsy' as well. If you don't rotate your hips through impact, it throws the club out, and bink, off the hozel it goes.