Shafts

Mick47

Head Pro
Visit site
Been a few posts about the merits of this or the other shaft lately. I know it's a lot to do with club head speed, often I see written graphite shafts are for old men, ultra stiff shafts for big hitters etc. So to my question.
In general, what happens to the ball if your shaft choice is way off?

For instance I'm old (relatively) but I'm strong,fit and supple. I use graphite shafts because when I brought my first set of used clubs (calloway big bertha) that's what they were fitted with and I didn't know any better, and still don't. Assuming I had a high swing speed (I've no idea what my swing speed actually is)would I be batting my head against the proverbial wall by continuing to use them and why? Or is the whole subject of shaft stiffness so subjective that it's just down to personel preference.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Based on how far you hit it alone, I'd say you need something stiffer than regular.
The problem is there's so much choice.
Different weights, kick points, steel, graphite giving lower/ higher ball flights.
It just depends what you want from the shaft.
Start with a dynamic gold S300 and see how that goes

Mick47

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for that Bob, I suspected as much I'm going to get fitted for new clubs soon and am trying to get as much understanding of what I want / need before I go. Re what I want from the shaft: I don't rearly know, just want to hit the ball consistantly straight after making good contact. I know that comes with lessons and practice (I'm a high handicapper) but I want to eliminate anything that may hinder progress i.e unsuitable clubs,shafts et al.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go to a Mizuno dealer that has the Swing DNA system and take 3 swings and it will suggest 3 suitable shafts. That is really only a starting point for a proper fitting, but chances are that one of the shafts recommended will do the trick. Doesn't matter if you don't want Mizuno.

If you are coming from graphite, you might find some steel shafts a bit heavy, but there are plenty of options in lighter weight shafts, such as the NS Pro or KBS 90 gram shaft. Probably stiff flex, as Bob says.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I told my wife today I liked the custom fitted shaft I have in my driver, it was working well...

She asked me which bit was the shaft

:D :D :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are coming from graphite, you might find some steel shafts a bit heavy, but there are plenty of options in lighter weight shafts, such as the NS Pro or KBS 90 gram shaft. Probably stiff flex, as Bob says.

I went from stiff graphite to TT DG reg and loved it!
I then went from TT DG to Callaway uniflex and found no difference.

My personal opinion (not that I'm an expert) is shafts in irons should be all about control rather than distance. Therefore try both reg and stiff and see which seems more reliable. I'm amazed at how many people choose a set of irons on distance....don't fall for it. If you hit your 8 iron 150-ish with reg but lose a yard or three (!>?) with stiff, but find the stiff straighter, the choice is a no brainer.

Mick47

Head Pro
Visit site

I went from stiff graphite to TT DG reg and loved it!
I then went from TT DG to Callaway uniflex and found no difference.

My personal opinion (not that I'm an expert) is shafts in irons should be all about control rather than distance. Therefore try both reg and stiff and see which seems more reliable. I'm amazed at how many people choose a set of irons on distance....don't fall for it. If you hit your 8 iron 150-ish with reg but lose a yard or three (!>?) with stiff, but find the stiff straighter, the choice is a no brainer.

Yes I agree, distance is not what I'm looking for, I'd sacrifice a lot more than a yard or two for accuracy and consistancy. What I'm trying to understand is if I am using a shaft that is too whippy for my swing what would you expect the ball flight to be? Would there be a tendancy to slice or hook the ball, would it just be all over the place, would I lose distance, would the ball flight be too high/ low, or would the difference be minimal and its just about feel.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I agree, distance is not what I'm looking for, I'd sacrifice a lot more than a yard or two for accuracy and consistancy. What I'm trying to understand is if I am using a shaft that is too whippy for my swing what would you expect the ball flight to be? Would there be a tendancy to slice or hook the ball, would it just be all over the place, would I lose distance, would the ball flight be too high/ low, or would the difference be minimal and its just about feel.

Softer shaft.....more clubhead speed (more distance), easier to square the face (might cause more hooky shots or maybe correct a slice a little), flight higher.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The whippier the shaft, the easier it is to hook. Conversly. The stiffer if is the more it will slice, or be more difficult to square. Generalities, but more true than not. Also, too stiff will normally launch a tad low.

You should have the whippiest shaft you can control. It will be more powerful.

Mick47

Head Pro
Visit site
Mmmm so it's me then not the wrong shaft :(. I used to hook quite badly but adjusted grip and swing and cured it BUT I do still pull and push in about equal amounts guess I'd better pay the pro a visit. It was just that so many posters seem to be using stiff shafts that I began to wonder if I was trying to make my soft shafts do something they couldn't do, given my swing.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I regularly play with a couple of single figure h/cappers. Both can hit the ball a long way. Both can shape the ball both ways, high or low, whatever.

Both use regular shafts :D :D

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Based on how far you hit it alone, I'd say you need something stiffer than regular.
Different weights, kick points, steel, graphite giving lower/ higher ball flights.

Not wanting to disagree but I hit my 8 iron around 150-155 and use px 5.0 which I was led to believe are around regular. I was told by the fitter that it has more to do with timing and tempo, but obviously if you swing out your shoes then something stiffer will be needed.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not wanting to disagree but I hit my 8 iron around 150-155 and use px 5.0 which I was led to believe are around regular. I was told by the fitter that it has more to do with timing and tempo, but obviously if you swing out your shoes then something stiffer will be needed.

PX 5.0 is sometimes described as Regular, but is actually equivalent to TT DG S300 soft stepped once, i.e. a little closer to S300 than R300.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

PX 5.0 is sometimes described as Regular, but is actually equivalent to TT DG S300 soft stepped once, i.e. a little closer to S300 than R300. [/quote

Cheers Ethan so I am not all that weedy :p