Shafts

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fujikura Red 5 A Flex

I was in the Golf Centre with my wife who was having a fitting. I mentioned that I was playing with the idea of replacing my regular flex shaft in my driver with a Seniors (A) flex shaft. The guy rings up their other shop and . . . “they’ve got a Fujikura Red 5 A Flex you can have for £50.” A week later I picked it up, got it home and found that it’s VERY used and quite badly scarred clearly done from years of rubbing and abrasive sleeve in the bag; the scaring painted over with nail varnish. I immediately whacked off an email with pics complaining. I then went searching (ebay etc) for a new (ish) shaft and the price of these shafts range from (used) £70 up to (new) £300.

Questions:
1. How can a shaft cost £300 when a new driver costs less?
2. Is £50 a fair price for this shaft?

Attachments

• shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 37

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does it perform any better?
Cosmetic damage shouldnt affect performance.
If its no better then get your money back

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The £300 shafts will be the full monty, real deal top end shaft. If your driver costs £399 you're not getting one of these in the one you buy.
The one you get in your driver bought from the rack or offered as no uncharge will be broadly the same spec but will use lesser quality materials in order to keep the price down.
These shafts may well be perfect for the end user, more so than the 300 quid version.
Many ordinary players may not see a difference between the 2.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks like a TM SIM driver stock shaft. I can't tell if it is an Atmos or a Ventus, but either way, as Imurg says, there is a range of these from a 'made for' version right up to the high tech one. Not too many Tour versions are sold in A flex, though.

I wouldn't pay £300 for any of them. £50 is probably around the going rate for a decent one of this version. This one looks rather tired. Have you pictures of the tip?

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How much would you expect to pay for a new shaft / what is the price range?

My driver is a TM R15, what other drivers share the same adapter?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How much would you expect to pay for a new shaft / what is the price range?

My driver is a TM R15, what other drivers share the same adapter?

From the top of my head. All TM drivers from RBZ2 (note the 2) through to Sim2

I build my own with a new shaft and the total price is very much dependent on the actual shaft. The adapter, grip, glue and tape adds about £10 to the shaft price.

You can check shaft prices out on ebay there are several sellers that sell with or without any adapter on them. Older shafts can be picked up for around £25.

What you paid for the shaft is consistent with second hand shafts of that quality but maybe not in the condition you described.