Shaft Torque

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would an average club golfer be able to tell the difference between 3.7 and 4.2 deg of torque. The 4.2 is 64g and the 3.7 is 67.5g. Many thanks

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Would an average club golfer be able to tell the difference between 3.7 and 4.2 deg of torque. The 4.2 is 64g and the 3.7 is 67.5g. Many thanks

Maybe...maybe not! It also depends on several other attributes of the shaft - particularly weight! The overall characteristics of the shaft (particularly just above the tip section) may also determine feel and/or confidence!

I have generally set 4 as something of a boundary for my - pretty wimpy - swing!

The question you should answer is....Why do you ask?

Last edited:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
real difficult to generalize over but yep folks would probably be able to 'feel' a difference

torque usually has more influence in folks 'feel' through swinging a shaft than say flex Reg to Stiff (so weight - torque - flex)
reason a golfer will say a shaft is a tad 'boardy' or has more 'whip' is more down to torque resistance or the lack of

for sure not always the case but higher or lower torque numbers can help assist a tad with folks issues with 'curvatures' (so ability to present face angle at impact)
so fitting to the swing with shaft torque can assist folks who slice or hook and also can help with spin rate to a limited extent

only real ways to find the best answer to shaft weight, torque, flex to best suit the motion is to get fit by a good fitter

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe...maybe not! It also depends on several other attributes of the shaft - particularly weight! The overall characteristics of the shaft (particularly just above the tip section) may also determine feel and/or confidence!

I have generally set 4 as something of a boundary for my - pretty wimpy - swing!

The question you should answer is....Why do you ask?

Currently using a Diamana blue with 4.2 torque and gradually as I get older I am finding it harder to use. Feels very inflexible during swing. Swing speed of 100 with driver. Both torque shafts I originally enquirer about are stiff shafts

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Currently using a Diamana blue with 4.2 torque and gradually as I get older I am finding it harder to use. Feels very inflexible during swing. Swing speed of 100 with driver. Both torque shafts I originally enquirer about are stiff shafts

Been a while since I've swung anything with a Blueboard in it - though I did have a Sasquatch with a real one in late in the year that (scary sounding) head came out that felt fine. In fact the Whiteboard has never really felt over-stiff - even in a X-Flex that I tried, though distance was seriously curtailed! - so it may be that the 'feel' that you are getting is from the transition rather than through the hitting zone. Is your transition smooth or a bit 'quick'? That sort of equates to 'Swinger' vs 'Hitter' (resp) but there's a bit more to it than that.

Oh and (all else being equal - which it never is!) a lower torque will feel a tad stiffer/more stable than a higher one - so you might be headed in the wrong direction!! The value is how much the shaft turns with a standard twist applied to it.

100mph swing speed is plenty fast enough to get some sort of action from a stiff Blueboard, even if it's not quite optimum! And i presume that it's actually one of the 'evolutions' from the original Blueboard - as those specs don't match the numbers I've seen.

If you really want to change things around, you could check out the Graphite Design YSQ - especially if you are a swinger. It's 'softer' tip and butt, stiffer in the mid-section - so probably doesn't need quite as much effort as the Blue. Reasonably priced too, but changing shafts is always a bit of a gamble! What was the 'other' one that you were comparing btw? The YSQ has pretty similar specs!

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Transition is too quick at times. I am getting no loss of distance it just feels solid. Was looking at the Aldila rouge series. I see a new one as stock in 917 a rogue max. One I have never heard of

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Transition is too quick at times. I am getting no loss of distance it just feels solid. Was looking at the Aldila rouge series. I see a new one as stock in 917 a rogue max. One I have never heard of

Ah! That (the Max) is one I've heard rather good things about! Perhaps going and doing a sneaky 'audition' of the 917 as there's a Blue option with that too!