Shaft stiffness

Deijavoo

Medal Winner
Visit site
I recently tried a new shaft in my Ping driver, went from Alta stiff to Tour X stiff. Instantly got a massive improvement in consistency, dispersion and a little distance.

My question is why this would be as I only swing 95-99? I thought x flex would only work well for 110+? Could there be something up with my swing causing this?

As it is, I've just got the 3 wood matched up too so will be interesting to see if I get the same result.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I recently tried a new shaft in my Ping driver, went from Alta stiff to Tour X stiff. Instantly got a massive improvement in consistency, dispersion and a little distance.

My question is why this would be as I only swing 95-99? I thought x flex would only work well for 110+? Could there be something up with my swing causing this?

As it is, I've just got the 3 wood matched up too so will be interesting to see if I get the same result.

Titleist have a fitting mantra; "It's not how fast you swing, it's how you swing fast." Whilst swing speed will have some bearing, the manner of your transition from backswing to downing, the way you load the shaft and your release will all have a bearing on the flex that suits you best.

Another thing to bear in mind is that there is no standard for flex in golf; as I know from a fitting, one manufacturer's stiff is another's regular, so don't get too hung up on the flex designation; if it ain't broke.......... ;)

Let us know how you get on with the 3 wood.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

What BiM said is absolutely correct. There is also the act that there are no standards 'stiffnesses' for different flexes, each manufacturer has there own tolerances. So X in one shaft might be equivalent to S in another etc.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
the pings alta is a soft shaft anyhow. so your stiff was playing more like a reg. ping stock shafts have always been a bit softer than stated

Deijavoo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ah great stuff, thanks guys.

It did seem odd how it went so much better, never liked the Alta shaft at all. The club was for sale until I tried this new shaft.

I did have to really think about my tempo with the Alta, but when I wasn't or to put it better, forgot, I got really punished with some bad hooks. My forgetfulness seems to go relatively unpunished now.

Really hoping that the 3w has the same benefits.

Thanks again.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
all true that there is no industry standard to shaft builds & how folks swing motion works with a particular shaft profile is key too

just wondering how you got your results in the comparison from the 'old' to 'new' shaft ?

Deijavoo

Medal Winner
Visit site
I got the driver originally with the Alta shaft and then my neighbour gave me his TM R1. I noticed a difference there and noticed that the shaft was marginally shorter so asked a local shop if I could A/B test a shorter shaft against the Alta one in my Ping. All they had was the Tour in X-flex so had a go and instantly got much better results and even my worse shots tend to go straighter with a lower flight. My worse shots with the Alta shafts would normally balloon left and right to end up on the next hole, now they usually end up in the rough.

I know my swing is not great, but the instant improvement has been very welcome.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got the driver originally with the Alta shaft and then my neighbour gave me his TM R1. I noticed a difference there and noticed that the shaft was marginally shorter so asked a local shop if I could A/B test a shorter shaft against the Alta one in my Ping. All they had was the Tour in X-flex so had a go and instantly got much better results and even my worse shots tend to go straighter with a lower flight. My worse shots with the Alta shafts would normally balloon left and right to end up on the next hole, now they usually end up in the rough.

I know my swing is not great, but the instant improvement has been very welcome.

just wondering was if you had done this on a launch monitor so got the data that quantified the shot results

Deijavoo

Medal Winner
Visit site
I would really like to do that and compare lots of shafts but this change was really obvious. The fella in the bay next to me thought it must have been a completely different driver. I track how I'm playing too and I've been hitting a lot more fairways of late.

I did wonder if I would be better with Tour stiff but it was all that was in and when it worked I was happy enough.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would really like to do that and compare lots of shafts but this change was really obvious. The fella in the bay next to me thought it must have been a completely different driver. I track how I'm playing too and I've been hitting a lot more fairways of late.

I did wonder if I would be better with Tour stiff but it was all that was in and when it worked I was happy enough.

get where you're coming from
could be that the new shaft is a good fit for the swing profile - would try to compare shaft against some others on a launch monitor to get a 'true' picture

couple of things overall to maybes consider over shaft changes

for sure as a general theme of things have found far more folks trying to use shafts that are on the too stiff (+ heavy) side for their swing motion technique & ball speed produced

goin to an 'x' flex of any manufacturer would expect most folks to see both a tighter starting direction & dispersion
but likely not peak height improvement or carry distance so for sure can understand

hard by sight/feel to judge real true 'peak height' values - & with good launch conditions 'peak height' is a key factor in carry distance the number that is key to distance

usually have found folks gauging of an extra distance to be a little ways off when they have then come to test on a LM & sometimes any perceived distance gain either just really wasn't there or if some gain made that was just down to harder ground conditions giving more run out as opposed to any gain in flight & carry - when ground conditions change with the less carry & then without harder ground run out overall distance is down some

Deijavoo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Great points. Thanks for the info.

I think once I start getting down towards low double digits I'll get a full bag fitting at Precision or Tour X to try all sorts of shafts etc.

Need a great season for it though!

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
I have used a Grafalloy Blue X in my driver for years, even though at the time my swing speed as on the higher side of a Stiff shaft in a heavier weight.

I have been fitted a couple of times for new drivers which on the launch monitor put me back into a heavier stiff shaft. The problem is on the course it just doesn't work and I have gone back to my old driver 3 times now. This has become a running joke which my playing partners.

On the same note I use an X in my 3 wood and Hybrids after years struggling for consistency this gave me just what I had been missing.

I am fully aware that all shafts are different in flex from each manufacturer. Sometimes it's where the shaft kicks that's matters more than flex for people. I require a shaft with a higher kick point and low torque, this helps bring my spin and launch down.

I am a firm believer in use what performs and not what someone says should work for you. Having launch monitor data is good but this needs to be combined with how it's actually performs on the course.

Deijavoo

Medal Winner
Visit site
This is really interesting to me, I felt like all clubs should be similar stiffness but my irons seem to be going well just now with recently changing to dynamic gold s300s in my Z565s.

My bag probably looks a real mess to guys who know what they're doing.

Deijavoo

Medal Winner
Visit site
So, played a few rounds with the 3 wood and it's so far so good. I suppose the difference for me is that my bad shots end up in less trouble than they did before, and my good shots are better than they were before which is true of both driver and 3w.

However, I don't think they are perfectly suited for me, so think I'll get a full bag fitting later in the year, but for 2018 I'm certain I can cut my h/c by some way with what I have for now.

Thanks all for the help.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have used a Grafalloy Blue X in my driver for years, even though at the time my swing speed as on the higher side of a Stiff shaft in a heavier weight.

Not that is a seriously stiff feeling shaft!! If you ever need to replace it, try an iron bar - or contact Alvato Quiros or Henrik, who apparently bought all stock when it was announced that production would cease!