Shaft questions

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Howdy knowledgable ones.

I've been using ebay-bought regular shafts for the past 2 years. My bad shot was a high, right weak fade when I felt I'd given it welly. At a recent fitting I was fit for Stiff 55g Tensei Blue in the TS3 driver (which I bought), and KBS Tour 90 Stiff in mizuno irons (mine are KBS 90 Regular). I hadn't intended testing the irons! And it wasn't a full fitting but the difference was startling.

Q1. I can feel the same stability issues with my Regular 915 fairway and hybrid and would like to upgrade the shafts (no issue with the heads!). Should the weight of the shaft be the same for these clubs as my driver? I realise a 55g Kuro Kage, for instance, is going to be different to a Tensei, but is there a rule of thumb about weights getting heavier in the Hybrids for instance? I can't seem to find much under 70. I have found a Callaway 3W with a 55g Tensei. Would that be a better fit?

Q2. I picked up a set of Adams CB2 irons with the KBS 90 stiff shafts and they're a revelation. I thought I could just swap the shafts from my Mizunos to these, thereby upgrading my beloved MP54s, the swing weights appear to be the same (they balance on the same point in the shaft). They're also incredibly similar clubs in terms of size and shape. However I have asked 4 professionals (starting with my own club pro) and none of them want to touch it, why is that?! I may just play the Adams they're lovely clubs but it won't be easy selling the MP54s! I have had very little luck finding any KBS 90s in Stiff. If money were no object I'd be booking myself into a Mizuno fitting centre, but not an option for the foreseeable.

Cheers folks appreciate any advice on offer, nice one

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could you not get a set of pulled shafts and Get these fitted ?
I could get a price from the clubfitter i use to give you some idea of the cost if you wanted ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
General rule of thumb is if you have a 55g driver shaft then you should be looking at 65g for fairways and 75-80 for hybrids
But it's so personal.
And just because a shaft has a number on it, don't assume that the number is the weight.
For example, the Fubuki shaft in the 2014 Big Bertha fairways has 65 on it. But the regular is 64g and the stiff 69g - generally the stiffer shafts are slightly heavier.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply guys, I might take you up on that Spongebob I'll see how the search goes, I'm not too bothered until the season gets going and in the back of my mind I feel like I should have a full fitting really. This was just shoe-horned in at the end of the driver fitting because we had time. I was trying to figure out if there was some problem with it, two pros didn't get back to me and the other two said they wouldn't do it so I wondered if I was asking them to commit some sort of crime :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the tip regards weights Imrug, though it adds a certain element of uncertainty to the whole thing now! I guess again the only way to really know is a fitting, right?! Drat. Last one was a present from my buddies, the next one is gonna hurt!

Sound

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In many respects weight is just as important, some say more so, than flex.
Add into the mix the fact that flexes are all over the place and it's a complete minefield if you really look into it. I'm sure some testing was done recently where one company's X flex was similar to another's regular..

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply guys, I might take you up on that Spongebob I'll see how the search goes, I'm not too bothered until the season gets going and in the back of my mind I feel like I should have a full fitting really. This was just shoe-horned in at the end of the driver fitting because we had time. I was trying to figure out if there was some problem with it, two pros didn't get back to me and the other two said they wouldn't do it so I wondered if I was asking them to commit some sort of crime :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the tip regards weights Imrug, though it adds a certain element of uncertainty to the whole thing now! I guess again the only way to really know is a fitting, right?! Drat. Last one was a present from my buddies, the next one is gonna hurt!

Sound
whar are the iron sets ? 4-PW ? and would you want both sets swapped into eachother ?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
whar are the iron sets ? 4-PW ? and would you want both sets swapped into eachother ?

Hi chap, yeah that's the idea, but in reality I'd be only doing so to make the Adams saleable - so if he thought he had a home for the heads and shafts seperately... They're both 5 - PW, these are the beggars in question. Would be interested to know what he had to say tbf, I'm playing next Monday but then they'll probably be in storage until it's warmer!

Thanks chap appreciate any info!

image2.jpeg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Howdy knowledgable ones.

Q2. I picked up a set of Adams CB2 irons with the KBS 90 stiff shafts and they're a revelation. I thought I could just swap the shafts from my Mizunos to these, thereby upgrading my beloved MP54s, the swing weights appear to be the same (they balance on the same point in the shaft). They're also incredibly similar clubs in terms of size and shape. However I have asked 4 professionals (starting with my own club pro) and none of them want to touch it, why is that?! I may just play the Adams they're lovely clubs but it won't be easy selling the MP54s! I have had very little luck finding any KBS 90s in Stiff. If money were no object I'd be booking myself into a Mizuno fitting centre, but not an option for the foreseeable.

I find that very strange in one respect but not in another.

It is a relatively easy job just fairly time consuming, probably too much work for the amount they could reasonably charge.

If you just asked them to change the shafts in the one set to new shafts they would probably be interested but it quite a costly job.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is a relatively easy job just fairly time consuming, probably too much work for the amount they could reasonably charge.

I wondered if that were the case, never got as far as talking money!

Try Item no 253987780059

Thanks chap but I need the Tour 90, these are the standard Tour, makes it harder to come by them. I'm not in any panic for now, probably wont play much again til March so was just trying to fgure out why the reluctance, which I think you've hit the nail on the head with. Perhaps Spongebobs man can offer something reasonable but if not it's no big deal, I can pray for a big win and book my Mizuno fitting before the White Tees go out ;) In the meantime the Adams are very much playable.

Appreciate the answer and ebay search - good man