Shaft question for a Titleist 909

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure how many will be able to have an answer for this one but seeing as a lot of you lads across the pond get fitted someone may have had experience with this....
I bought a 910 3 wood with a regular Diamana Kia'li 75 shaft....Before that i had a Ping i15 with a stiff Ping standard shaft...But im getting a higher longer flight from the 910 and it feels great to hit...Now i may need a slightly stiffer shaft in this but it feels nice to hit....Distance is about 220 mtrs with it which is longer than my old Ping...

Now for to the point sorry about the above....I picked up a mint 909 D3 9.5 with a stiff Voodoo shaft but its hit and miss...I feel like i have to swing too hard to get it up in the air...Definitely a bit harder than i do my 3 wood which is playing havoc with my rhythm.......
If i was to try get my hands on the same shaft that my 3 wood has for a driver what would likely happen with a regular shaft and the 9.5 head?....

The last time i had my driver SS measured it was averaging between 100-104 mph....
And my SS with a 6 iron was measured at 86mph iirc.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
kid

Interesting story. The Kaili in the 910 is a decent shaft, but not terribly stiff, so I would have thought that a R flex would have been very hard to control for someone with driver ss of 100-104 mph. Likewise, the Voodoo (a made for version, but a reasonable one) in the 909 would probably have to be (at least) S flex for those speeds too.

You might be doing well with the Kaili because you have a good smooth tempo, which forgives an overly flexible shaft.

To answer the specific question, the Kaili driver and a choice of heads should be available at any pro shop or range that has a Titleist fitting cart, so you should be able to demo the combinations. Don't be surprised though, if a S flex Kaili works better in the driver, and there is no problem having different flexes in different clubs.. You can also always adjust the head settings for a bit more or less loft.

What are the head settings on the 910 fairway?

A

Alex1975

Maybe a 909 with a made for blueboard in it? The blueboard is what the Kaili is derived from I believe. Should be able to sell your 909 and buy a new one with different specs and only pay postage I would think.... Just an idea.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
kid

Interesting story. The Kaili in the 910 is a decent shaft, but not terribly stiff, so I would have thought that a R flex would have been very hard to control for someone with driver ss of 100-104 mph. Likewise, the Voodoo (a made for version, but a reasonable one) in the 909 would probably have to be (at least) S flex for those speeds too.

You might be doing well with the Kaili because you have a good smooth tempo, which forgives an overly flexible shaft.

To answer the specific question, the Kaili driver and a choice of heads should be available at any pro shop or range that has a Titleist fitting cart, so you should be able to demo the combinations. Don't be surprised though, if a S flex Kaili works better in the driver, and there is no problem having different flexes in different clubs.. You can also always adjust the head settings for a bit more or less loft.

What are the head settings on the 910 fairway?

Cheers for the reply Ethan.....Its a while since i measured the swing speed but i carry my driver around 240-250 yards on a good wallop.
The setting on the Fairway is set at neutral....When i bought it i left it alone to see what the outcome would be..Definite higher flight than my old Ping....And more carry....I didnt really buy it for fiddling with....More that i liked the weight of the head and the shaft felt nice to swing...

Funny thing is i can hit stiff shafts pretty well...My irons have DG S300's in them and im hitting a 7 iron 135-145mtrs....But i dont try and swing out of my shoes either....
Every week i seem to e hitting the driver better than the last.....Iv only played the 3 rounds so far with it...

My Dad has Reg flex Standard shafts in his RBZ's and they feel like boards to me.....I cant feel the head at all in the swing when i swing one of them....They weren't nice at all....They just felt dead.