Shaft query

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looking for a bit of advice from any resident shaft experts. Currently playing Cleveland irons with 'traction 85' shafts, but had a hit with RSI 2 irons today and noticed that they have KBS tour 105 shafts. I assume the numbers are grams, so in theory the KBS are 20 grams heavier. How does that effect the strike/flight etc, is one shaft better than the other. Welcome your thoughts on the two shafts.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking for a bit of advice from any resident shaft experts. Currently playing Cleveland irons with 'traction 85' shafts, but had a hit with RSI 2 irons today and noticed that they have KBS tour 105 shafts. I assume the numbers are grams, so in theory the KBS are 20 grams heavier. How does that effect the strike/flight etc, is one shaft better than the other. Welcome your thoughts on the two shafts.

the traction 85's have a .370 tip the KBS Tour 105's are .360 as far as I know

if both shafts are stiff flex the 85's do weigh in at 85g but a stiff Tour 105 weighs 110g so 25g difference

the Tour 105 profiles are to produce more spin so mid to higher launch/flight as a general observation - but obviously that will depend on the particular impact conditions in the swing motion

105's good shafts that are used on Tour - don't know about the shaft profile of the 85's but guessing given the weight the 'flex point' would favor a similar launch, flight

guess really a lot depends on how the 'transition' of swing motion loads the shaft would be a tad harder to load given the extra weight

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Coach,
Thanks very much for your response. It ties in with what i thought was happening with the RSI i hit today, being a good bit heavier coupled with my 'dodgy' swing meant i couldn't get the same result twice in a row. Looks like the old CG16's will live to fight another season. Maybe i should work on my swing instead of looking a shiny new clubs.