Shaft Puring

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thought it best to bring up a new topic on this after Murph brought it up, rather than hijack his thread.

Its regarding clubs being pured. I thought none of the manufacturers pured their clubs as a rule of thumb? Only one I have seen recently was the new snake eyes driver.

Does any one have any feedback on the process, does it actually make a difference, worth the money to get it done etc?

Not really considering it, just a passing curiousity after having read an article that extoled its virtues.

HH

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
If you purchase and alternative golf magazine out this month there is an article on it.

Is there much point ot it, I am cynical as 1) I don't know anybody who has had it done and 2) Surely the clubs are grand when we buy them without having to shell out further?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ok, here goes.

For any steel shaft, it is made from a tube of steel, which has a welded seem running up it. This seem needs to be orientated so it does not effect the flex of the shaft. If the shafts in a set of irons are bunged in at random, they will all be slightly different, and not behave like a matched set. Not many manufacturers offer this.

For graphite shafts, due to the method of manufacture, these also have variations. I have had this demonstrated to me by a club fitter, who put the butt end in a pair of bearings, and then bent the shaft, holding the tip in another set of bearings. When I tried to rotate the shaft, it felt harder to rotate, and then easier through the 360 rotation (a bit like rolling up hill, then down hill). Again, this might not matter, depending on how well you hit what you have, but might explain why you try out your mates driver which is lovely, and then buy one the same, which you can't hit for toffee.

This is why you should always buy the one you try.

I doubt if puring will change your handicap, but it might explain why you find some irons easier to hit than others.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Very interesting indeed. Makes me wonder how I have ever been able to hit any of my clubs. F**k knows what flex any of them are now.

May be thats why my three iron is in the wardrobe. I always thought it was because the sweet spot was too small, and my technique not good enough to hit a bladed 3 iron, but now it is obvious the shaft isn't frequency doodaahed and pured.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Jon, it was an alternative publication that first brought this to my attention.

Its really just sceptism on my part that things could be so different. But interest was certainly pricked when reading article. Always good to have something else to blame when it all goes wrong at Blairgowrie!