Shaft length

AdamKelly

Visit site
What effect does shaft length have? Is there an equation given certain variables? I am 6'4" and have been experimenting with shafts up to 1.5 inches longer than standard. i can't find the best length perhaps because i am not keeping the swingweight at the right level. What I want to know is what I am gaining in distance and losing in accuracy by adding an inch to a shaft. I am guessing that 1/2 inch might be optimal but I want to understand why?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
1/2" relates to about 2 yards. Not a lot. It is more about being comfortable for your swing. Being tall means shorter shafts could leave you excessively hunched over. Lie angles become important too. What you really need is a proper custom fit.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know a few tall players and they all have longer shafted golf clubs.
The distance gains and accuracy losses seem negligible to me.
It's all about being comfortable and keeping good posture and getting the right lie for your swing.

Not that I'm an expert, but if I tall person can hit a SW or a driver, clearly shaft length is not stopping them playing....BUT if you have standard lie clubs, it simply can't be good for you long term, because you'll be making too many compensations.

Really long clubs (lengthened, but not altered) will mess with the swing weight, but average players needn't panic about this too much.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The greater length translates into greater clubhead speed, all other things being equal, but only a couple of percent extra, so, as murph says 3-5 yards for an inch.

The pro fitters would do a static fit on you first, checking how far your hands are from the ground. Then they would check how you hot the irons. If you middle the irons, they might not suggest adding much. If you toe them a lot, that suggests you don't reach the ball and may be a suggestion for adding length.

1.5 inches is a lot extra and needs specially weighted clubs to get swingweight back to spec. There are a few Tour players of 6'4" or more and I don't think many have more than 1" added.

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm 6'10" and only had 1" added to my shafts and had the lie anlge +4 upright. The pro who fitted me said from past experiences it is of greater importance to increase the lie angle than the length of the shaft. Too much increase in shaft length more often than not makes you stand too far away from the ball which creates other problems with the swing.
It has certainly worked for me and I can't fault the set up I currently have.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's not all about height, there are NBA plaeyrs out there who have clubs shorter than standard.

I'll try and remember a quote or two:

You want the longest shafts you can hit solid and on centre shots with the hightest percentage of the time. The correct club length is determined by your arm length relative to your height, massaged by amongst other things your athletic ability, swing plane and style.

Apologies for butchering Tom Wishons words found in Search for the perfect golf club. If you're interested in stuff about equipment it's worth a read.