Shaft Flex Query

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anyone on here use stiff shafts in their woods and regular flex in hybrids? My driver and 3 wood seem to go well with stiff shafts (driver swing speed c. 100mph). Swing speed with hybrid is avg 88mph and not sure whether this suits a reg or stiff hybrid?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Many many threads on this subject. Shaft flex varies between brands. What is regular in one brand can be stiff in another, so in order to make sense if this we would need to know the brand and weight of the shafts. In general, though, at your swing speed you could easily use stiff through the bag. You may also be fine with regular particularly if you have a smooth tempo and/or early release. Play the shafts and clubs that give the best results and don't worry what is written on the shaft.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As said before, there is no industry standard for shaft stiffness. It might be worth going to a customer fitter to find out which shafts work best for you, and then stick to them. Having said that, as I have got older I have changed from stiff to lightweight regular shafts, and may even have to consider 'Senior Flex' soon! Generally you need a swing speed with a driver of at least 90 mph to justify stiff shafts. When I was tested recently I was down to 77 mph. Don't you just love old age! :(

Last edited: