Setting targets.

Meady

Club Champion
Visit site
So I'm a relatively new golfer and although I've been a fairweather player over the last year or so, 2 months ago I made a commitment to the game and now want to succeed. I have some decentish gear, I have picked up a couple of books and I even subscribed to Eurosport for the US PGA. However, I desperately want to get better only I'm not really sure how to approach my progress.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not in a 'rush' but I do want to have something to aim for but my problem is not knowing how much better I should be getting.
I'm currently AT LEAST attending a roll up at my local club and playing once a week (either an 18 hole par3 or a full course) so i was wondering if any experts could be advising me of what sort of targets I should set myself.
I realise that this might be an impossible question and that it may well be a game that you just have to take as it comes but if I don't ask, I won't know will I?

nowtfancy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry wish I’d read this post before posting in ‘the lounge’ – I’m sure someone will point out where the right place for this discussion should be?!

Anyway - when I first picked a club up last year my overall aim was simply to be able to accept the more frequent invitations to play golf that I was receiving.
Well that has swiftly progressed into wanting nay needing to be the best I can and able to beat everyone I know!
I guess I didn’t realise how much I missed playing football!

So my targets for this year have been:
1. To get round a course without any hole getting to double figures. TICK (only once though – last two rounds have seen at least one nightmare hole!)
2. To break 100. yet to be achieved - managed 109 up to now.
3. To be able to give myself a handicap – eg to be able to say ‘I play off about 20’ – I can’t see myself joining a club for a while, so an official handicap will be difficult?!

I also have targets to play – at least two rounds a month (generally managing more, but good to have minimum!), and not to let a week go by without picking a club up, even if it’s just a 20 minute session at the range.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think in both cases you'll benefit from a lesson or two just to get the basics of the grip, stance and alignment laid down. Its like anything, if you had solid foundations you can build from there. I wouldn't worry about getting to technical once you have the basics sorted but go out and enjoy the game and learn something everytime you play, be it a rule you didn't know or how to play from a difficult lie etc.

I wouldn't set myself anything too stringent in terms of goals to start with and if you forget about targets you may find yourself freeing up and playing better anyway. Just my 2p's worth

Meady

Club Champion
Visit site
That makes alot of sense Homer. I've had a couple of lessons so I'm raring to go. The more I'm reading of the 'Golf is not a game of perfect' book, the more your comments make sense.
That said, I like your own targets fancy. I might steal a couple.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I set targets for myself, and over time they change quite a bit.
Looking back to the early days, I reckon my main priority was to not hit those awful shots that feel so damn bad.
I'd challenge myself to hit each ball half decent and half straight. Sometimes, I'd hit a half decent drive, half decent 2nd, half decent 3rd and then 3-putt and walk off with a double bogey. Didn't bother me.
What would drive me nuts was to hit a good driver, nice-ish second, duff it into a bunker, play 2 to get out and then drain a long putt, also for a 6.

Everyone says it's not "how" but "how many". I couldn't be more anti this old chestnut. Potentially, I could play quite decently all the way round and play to 18 with no major mistakes. Alternatively, I could be 5 over par after 12 holes then stuff up three of the last few and play to my h'cap. Which round would annoy me the most....the second round :) :D

Fix your game so you are confident of making "proper" pars when it goes right and not hitting so bad that without luck you're going to make a 10 or worse!! This approach is almost irrelevant of h'cap.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm with Dave here. I'd rather hit the ball well all day and maybe miss greens and not scramble than hit three average shots, two putt and walk away with a nett par. I'm definitely not a "its how many" subscriber and do actually feel more frustrated playing close to my handicap if I know I've not swung well. I guess that made Sunday so sweet, the fact that for 6 holes I was hitting it badly and then something clicked and I struck the ball really crisply for the last twelve.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm the opposite , it's all about the number at the end for me. It doesnt matter which parts of my game are working and which arent if I can still post a good score. What I dont want is a poor score in any way ,shape or form. There will be no positives for me if the score is poor because that is what we judge ourselves by ( the final score )

BTW I am talking about competitive golf not a knockabout with mates where I try all sorts of shots out and the score is irrelevant

Meady

Club Champion
Visit site
At my stage every score is relevant. I'm glad you're saying that progress doesn't always result in lower scores. I played this weekend and felt as if my overall play was much better than in the past but I was still 5 shots off my best score on the course that I posted in April. Perhaps I shouldn't make all my targets score related.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As long as the targets are reasonable and achievable and work for you that is all that matters. For example I want to be averaging 32 or less putts per round. Its coming but I'm having to spend a few hours a week working on my stroke and those 6 footers to get there