Setanta

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Pretty good to be honest Divot. There are some useful instructional programs on there, good interviews and classic golf events. Its a good channel, not overdone with has-beens and never-quite-were types plugging crap gear which is a bonus.

I think that the setanta package as a whole is great value at a tenner, even more so if you are a footy fan.

There is also a good bit of boxing action on there if you are into the fight game.

It is a short-term contractual obligation which is great if you change your mind and best of all it is available on freevew aswell as cable and sky.

Probably a tenner well spent for you divot.

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it's only going to get better. At the moment there are alot of repeats of things like the magazine programs. But the PGA coverage is good... I think I should audition for a job there. ;)

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
Going to give it a try, got rid of sky few years ago, i got sick of all the adverts every two minutes when watching the golf.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Would I be right in thinking that Setanta covers the USPGA and Sky now has The European Tour? I have neither but have seen some of the US tour coverage and it strikes me as guff. Drive-putt, drive-putt advert. Drive-putt, drive-putt advert...repeat until bored.

I wanna see fairway shots, approach shots, recovery shots, sand shots and all the nasty fiddly bits in between.

Is it only me that can't stand the rolling ticker tape things on the bottom/top of the screen too?

Would love to watch a bit more golf but it would have to better than the above. I only used to watch it at my old club (so not much) but quickly got to the point where if I witnessed another advert by Sam Torrence (I think) for a thing called a Slazenger K1(I'm half sure)- which virtually claimed to not only improve your game but pack your sandwiches and mark your card for you- I was in danger of throttling someone.

Apologies to anyone who happens to own this holy grail of a club and the 'free' hybrid (presumably son of holy grail..perhaps holy egg cup). Does it cut the sandwiches into nice squares?

Sorry also if I made some startling errors of detail but I candidly put it down to an almost total indifference to Sky type programming.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have setanta by broadband, Only £7.99 a month, no subscription. It has all the live channels and a football archive and a golf archive. So when that damn teleshopping (cue the K1) is on i just watch the archived golf stuff. And it works of my N95 when am in work! :p

T

thecraw

Setanta does have alot of adverts but not quite reached the Sky level yet. It is basically Sky's American golf coverage from a couple of years ago renamed Setanta Golf.

In all honesty I do enjoy it and I have since ditched my Sky Sports package at £20 per month as Setanta gives my my "golf fix" for £9.99.

That said I will get Sky switched back on in Septemeber for the Ryder Cup!!!!

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
sky went to commercials when the American channel went to adds, but setanta goes back to the studio when the us goes to adds(which is twice as many as uk tv) and setanta stick to there own add times.

I like it when it goes back to the studio you get a good bit of talk about the play you have just watched, usually with Ronan rafferty.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I think £120 a year is a lot for just a golf channel, I know they have other stuff but I hardly watch footie on Sky Sports nevermind Satanta. I am sure most major comps will be on Sky and the BBC and if not I can catch the highlights, its not like watching golf is like playing it and sometimes can be quite boring to watch (spesh when tiger is leading ;) ).

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It works out 33 pence a day to watch the golf on setanta thats not too bad is now.
Some mugs pay 20 pound just to watch the boxing at least you get a few channels for a tenna

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
ntl had a habit of giving you channels for a while that were not normally included in your package then dropping them. I don't doubt virgin will be the same. I had setanta free for about 2 months, then it went. Now I have to pay for it.

I've been considering getting sky instead but how much does it cost to get golf?

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
setanta ha been added to the package i have and its there to stay, Its not just the golf that was added it was all the setanta channels, this was done as sky took sky news sky sports of off virgin so this was there reply.

Branson fights the bigger company's well.

As for sky you will have to pay for there sports package think its about £20 per month.
You do not get a golf channel with sky but you do get the euro tour, but sky are sneaky buggers they will put the golf on any of there sports channels so if you want to be sure of getting the golf you will have to pay for all there channels.