Set Configuration, old and new.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you think the increased number of hybrids is because there distance gaps created by forgiving drivers? By that I mean people hit drivers better than previously and now have expectations of distance from other clubs that don’t have the capacity to forgive .. except a hybrid might?

I would go with that.

There was a time when I had no woods in my bag because I use to hit hundreds of balls each week and a 1 iron gave me everything I needed off a tee.

Fast forward 30 years and I probably do not hit a hundred balls on the range in a year so need clubs that will give me reasonable consistency without practice, hence the longest iron I now carry is a 6 iron (a 5 from 30 years ago).

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I play hybrids from 3-7, because I can hit them more consistently than the equivalent irons. However, I take Hank Marvin’s point ... I would prefer to use irons if I could, but I want to score the best I can. I think I would feel more of a “golfer” if I used irons.

If you want to score the best you can and want to use irons, just move up to the ladies tees and use irons.

The effect will be the same;
One way you're using club technology to make your score look better.
The other way you're cutting yardage to make your score look better.
Your skill level is the same in either option.

(But don't then be tempted to use hybrids from the ladies tee to further reduce your score.)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you want to score the best you can and want to use irons, just move up to the ladies tees and use irons.

(But don't then be tempted to use hybrids from the ladies tee to further reduce your score.)
Ah what ever it takes to enjoy the game!

D

Deleted member 23344

I take your point, but even senior comps are from the whites and yellows, not the reds. I could play from the reds in social games, but that wouldn’t be good practice for the comps.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
old and new.png

When one becomes dependent on one-trick-pony utility clubs like my utility driving iron that I can't hit from the fairway and my utility sand iron that I can't hit from the grass, there must be compromises made to the overall incremental loft progression of the clubs.

This is somewhat exacerbated by the strengthening of iron lofts which suddenly results in one needing a second gap wedge.
Note above than my older set of irons goes from 28 to 52º in seven clubs while the newer set goes from 25 to 48º in seven clubs--5-iron to gap wedge in both cases.
Second gap wedge now needed.

My original plan for the coming spring was to go down from three fairway woods to two. This would leave me in the same boat as I was before, still with fifteen clubs and having to pull one.
For as long as I've played, I've been great at pulling a club that I would sorely need sometime in my round.

I have returned two unplayed Ping fairway woods that I recently purchased and settled on just one new fairway wood, a Callaway of comparable loft to my old "middle" fairway wood. Now I'll have fourteen clubs, and whether they're the right ones or not, I at least won't have decisions to make.

The good thing is that if actuarial tables have any validity, I won't be buying golf clubs anymore after these.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Do you really need a 19 deg iron and a 20 degree wood?

That's basically the point and the problem, bobmac.

I like the driving iron to hit at tight landing areas and the wood to hit at greens.
Completely different shots.
The driving iron is an ugly but straight line drive than runs.
The wood is a high, steeply descending shot that holds greens but is susceptible to wind.

I get more benefit from the driving iron, overall, than I would from either the 17 or 23º wood.
After all, from that far away, I'm not exactly breaking flagsticks. And on longer holes, our greens are three clubs deep.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 28940

When one becomes dependent on one-trick-pony utility clubs like my utility driving iron that I can't hit from the fairway and my utility sand iron that I can't hit from the grass, there must be compromises made to the overall incremental loft progression of the clubs.

This is somewhat exacerbated by the strengthening of iron lofts which suddenly results in one needing a second gap wedge.
Note above than my older set of irons goes from 28 to 52º in seven clubs while the newer set goes from 25 to 48º in seven clubs--5-iron to gap wedge in both cases.
Second gap wedge now needed.

My original plan for the coming spring was to go down from three fairway woods to two. This would leave me in the same boat as I was before, still with fifteen clubs and having to pull one.
For as long as I've played, I've been great at pulling a club that I would sorely need sometime in my round.

I have returned two unplayed Ping fairway woods that I recently purchased and settled on just one new fairway wood, a Callaway of comparable loft to my old "middle" fairway wood. Now I'll have fourteen clubs, and whether they're the right ones or not, I at least won't have decisions to make.

The good thing is that if actuarial tables have any validity, I won't be buying golf clubs anymore after these.
What will you use the fairway wood for?
I only carry a 5wood .. I am very confident with this club and will use it on tee or fairway covering distances of 200-250 yards depending on conditions so a 3 wood has become redundant.
I figure if I get the driver right then a 460 yard par 4 on the level could be hit in regulation. If not it’s 3 x 7 irons ..
For me every club apart from the driver should have options and should train myself to make those options.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
What will you use the fairway wood for?
I only carry a 5wood .. I am very confident with this club and will use it on tee or fairway covering distances of 200-250 yards depending on conditions so a 3 wood has become redundant.
I figure if I get the driver right then a 460 yard par 4 on the level could be hit in regulation. If not it’s 3 x 7 irons ..
For me every club apart from the driver should have options and should train myself to make those options.

It's explained immediately above your post, harpo.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's apparently a shot that I should have learned! But I'll get by with the one fairway wood. You do fine with one, right?
Yes, it has some variation in shot shape and height. But most the time I just “smash it” and enjoy myself ... well struck shots usually aren’t so bothered by the wind, high floaty non committed stuff comes back at you :(