Sergio & Stenson

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As it stands, it seems Poults will overtake Casey in the rankings...he just needs to not drop any more shots ..
And Rafa is, apparently, going into the automatic qualification spots too..
But at who's expense?

Both of them i think, RCB would go to 8th and assume that Poulter would be at 9th.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If we assume Poulter takes the last automatic, then I think the four would be Pieters, RCB, Casey and one of Stenson/Garcia. I would be pretty pleased with those 4 as I think it brings plenty of birdies.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The US much easier to predict than Europe at the minute. I'd put money on the fact they'll line up;

Koepka
JT
DJ
Reed
Watson
Spieth
Fowler
Simpson

Tiger
Phil
Bryson
Kuchar

As for Europe - I see us going with:

Molinari
Rose
Fleetwood
Hatton
Rahm
Rory
Noren
Poulter

Casey
RCB
Pieters
Stenson

Straight shoot-out between Henrik and Sergio for the last spot I think. For me, it's tough to pick Sergio right now, he's not playing well.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Given the current European standings, I'd currently pick;
Rafa, Olesen, Stenson and Pieters.

Rafa and Olesen will probably overtake Casey in the automatic spots. I note Casey isn't playing next week in America, so obviously focused on Fed Ex Cup, not Ryder Cup. Meanwhile both Rafa and Olesen are playing either side of the Pond.

Stenson, question marks obviously, but for me there's not another strong pick, other than Casey imo. Stenson also playing Wyndam so putting RC over Fed Ex Cup (albeit wont be as far up in that as Casey).

Pieters, now showing a bit of form. A pity he made a mess of 17 last night, or he was looking pretty good. But game suited to matchplay and got 4 points last time (in a losing team).

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
As for America, their team looks pretty good.

8 automatic spots;
DJ
Koepka
Reed
Bubba
Spieth
Thomas
Fowler
Simpson

Likely
Phil
Tiger
Bryson
Kuhar

Personally would pick Schauffle ahead of Kuchar and surely there is room for someone to claim the current Kuchar spot, whether that's Schauffle or someone else who gets a big result in the next few weeks.

It's as good a team as America have had in recent years. We certainly need home advantage, and question marks over the form of Stenson and Garcia are not great, given these are two guys that should be our strongest performers.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Garcia's form has been horrible, and if Stenson isn't fit then I'd agree, don't take either of them. On current standings I'd be picking Casey, Olesen, maybe Cabrera Bello, and the last spot for someone who earns it in the next few weeks leading up to it.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
RCB and Pieters haven't done a lot for a while but both played well at the PGA to give Bjorn something to think about, although I bet he was hoping that Garcia and Stenson had shown some form as well but sadly didn't. Poulter has knocked Casey out of the automatic spots so Casey will need a pick now.

Possible picks will be 4 from these 7 - Olesen, RCB, Pieters, Knox, Casey, Garcia and Stenson. A couple more events to go for Bjorn to decide and for a pick to show his hand but I think it will be Olesen, RCB, Casey and Garcia.

WillC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Casey, Olesen, Stenson and one other for the wildcards as it stands I think I would like. Cabrera-Bello I would say, but don't know what Bjorn will do.

Shame to leave Garcia out, but I just can't justify it unfortunately.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
He's arguably the most consistent golfer in the world right now (regularly ranked #1 in the Golf Week rankings which is done on performance vs the field). Casey should be a lock.

My reasons for picking Casey are not to do with his ability or his world ranking.

I have concerns if he is the best man for the team. Has previously not even attempted to support European Tour and played only in PGA events.

He obviously doesn't care much about the Ryder Cup and hasn't played in the event since 2008 (Nick Faldo pick). Not really trying to qualify some years and for a time not even taking up European Tour membership. He would have qualified easily for the last event, but wasn't a tour member, leaving Clarke with a team of Rookies in the US.

Personally think someone who wants to be there and has tried his hardest to qualify will be better suited to the event.

Thomas Bjorn is fiercely loyal to the European Tour and he will not rate Casey's previous disregard for the tour or the Ryder Cup highly at all. I reckon if Bjorn can make a case for not picking Casey, then he will take that route.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My reasons for picking Casey are not to do with his ability or his world ranking.

I have concerns if he is the best man for the team. Has previously not even attempted to support European Tour and played only in PGA events.

He obviously doesn't care much about the Ryder Cup and hasn't played in the event since 2008 (Nick Faldo pick). Not really trying to qualify some years and for a time not even taking up European Tour membership. He would have qualified easily for the last event, but wasn't a tour member, leaving Clarke with a team of Rookies in the US.

Personally think someone who wants to be there and has tried his hardest to qualify will be better suited to the event.

Thomas Bjorn is fiercely loyal to the European Tour and he will not rate Casey's previous disregard for the tour or the Ryder Cup highly at all. I reckon if Bjorn can make a case for not picking Casey, then he will take that route.

There is definitely something in the fact that Casey has been a disruptive influence in the camp and this has to remain a question mark as to how he'd integrate if he's picked again. He has definitely playing some decent golf and could be an asset if he's on board with the team ethos. Stenson is a solid match player and as the actual score doesn't care per hole I still feel he can do a job.

Looking at the US side on paper against those from a Europe they seem much stronger and have some players in great form. That said, with home advantage and the crowds and a wily captain I think come the event it'll be a lot closer than some think but I'd love to have at least 5 points advantage before the singles.