Sergio & Stenson

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Drop em both. Both hopelessly out of form.

American side is looking very strong, we can be easily just as strong minus those two. Let's go form guys not the sentimental route.

Clown Captain Clarke proved it last Ryder Cup, no room nowadays for old pals act.

This has potential to be the best Ryder Cup ever, let's not handicap the team by carrying two out of sorts players. I appreciate Stenson has been carrying an injury but his form is still way off where it was.

Back the rookies.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

American side is looking very strong, we can be easily just as strong minus those two. Let's go form guys not the sentimental route.

Clown Captain Clarke proved it last Ryder Cup, no room nowadays for old pals act.

This has potential to be the best Ryder Cup ever, let's not handicap the team by carrying two out of sorts players. I appreciate Stenson has been carrying an injury but his form is still way off where it was.

Back the rookies.

I would be surprised if they are both left out. Stenson is more likely a pick than Sergio. Garcia tends to get down on himself and could really struggle to pull anything out the bag unless he has a big week in the next couple.

Also I do think it’s a bit easier for Bjørn to leave out some big names than it was for Clarke. Clarke was going to America with a team of rookies who had mainly played only in Europe. Bjorn’s rookies are much more global players, which should make the transition to Ryder Cup a bit easier.

Fleetwood,Rahm, Noren & Hatton feels a bit better than Willett, Wood, Sullivan & Fitzpatrick. And in reality is quite a bit better.

However on the course, Clarke still tried to hide the rookies too much, which didn’t work out at all. Obviously no telling if a more balanced strategy would have worked.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

Back the rookies.
Who is he picking instead??

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Who is he picking instead??

Theres a lot of options.
Poulter
Olesson
Rafa CB
Knox
Pepperell
Fitzpatrick
Pieters

Plus someone who may have a big day today and get right up the rankings, Lowry or Matt Wallace.

These guys are obviously out of the team because they have not played as consistently well as others, but if you are picking based on form you may only take a few events into play.

Pieters is too far back and def needs a big win to be in the mix. Or Rory to say he wants to play 4ties with him.

Olessen is the closest to making it and he or Poulter could knock Casey out of an automatic spot. Bjørn may then pick Casey.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If Poulter finishes top 15 or so he should overtake Casey in the World Points list..
Sad to say but I think it would be folly to pick Sergio or Henrik on current form. They're both a significant distance from qualification and have virtually no chance of qualification
There's enough experience in the team, even though there will be a few rookies, that unless either are in form they're simply not required.
Should Poults oust Casey then Casey will probably be a pick. Oleson has probably done enough to get in and then it's any 2 from the rest..Pieters and Rafa most likely

D

Deleted member 15344

Garcia will go - he isn’t showing great form but the one shining light was a good Comp at the Ryder Cup venue

Stenson is all down to his fitness - seems to be struggling with niggling injuries - Bjorn will want to pick him but will be last minute depending how he is

Have No doubt that both will raise their game when needed

Out of the current automatic qualifyers the one that is really out of form is Casey and it would be better for Europe if Poulter or Olesen overtook him - if Poulter did that would leave a team of

Rory
Rahm
Noren
Molinari
Rose
Fleetwood
Hatton
Poulter ?

So four rookies so far

The picks will be from

Garcia
Stenson
Casey/Poulter
Olesen
Rafa
Fitzpatrick
Knox
Pieters

And he could look at someone like Fisher and if he continues to do well Lowry

I think because there is already four rookies he will possibly pick 4 players who have already played RC

Garcia
Stenson
Rafa

If Poulter doesn’t make it over Casey then Poulter will be a pick but if Poulter is in then it’s either Casey , Olesen or Fitzpatrick , even though Olesen would make 5 rookies

I think it’s also a team that are going to do really well and it’s going to be a very competitive match - looking forward to it

Last edited by a moderator:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I personally am not a fan of Casey.

he is a coaster, not a winner. And in previous years has made no effort to play the minimum number of European events to even be considered. One of the reasons Clarke was forced to travel with so many rookies.

However, it would be a big call to leave him out and I think he will go. But at least if he's ousted from the Automatic spots then Bjorn may still pick a form player ahead of him.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So currently in

Molinari
Rose
Hatton
Fleetwood
McIlroy
Rahm
Noren
Casey

Would then take Olesen, Poulter, RCB and Pepperell (alternatively Knox/Fitzpatrick but I think Eddie is playing better at the minute)

absolutely no chance I would take Garcia, since the Masters he has had one top 10 (admittedly at the French Open) and missed 5 cuts (might as well count the players as a MC as well and make it 6)

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As it stands, it seems Poults will overtake Casey in the rankings...he just needs to not drop any more shots ..
And Rafa is, apparently, going into the automatic qualification spots too..
But at who's expense?

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

Back the rookies.

If it's based on form, neither should get a pick IMO. Lots of other better options.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And on the topic of Ryder Cup picks, I wouldn't rule out Tiger getting a pick for the US team.

He's a lock plus its basically guaranteed they take Mickelson and Kuchar imo. Not sure Mickelson warrants it but they will take him, absolutely no idea who pick 4 will be, could be anybody (anyone but Finau is fine by me, don't want him making 8 or 9 birdies)

D

Deleted member 15344

And on the topic of Ryder Cup picks, I wouldn't rule out Tiger getting a pick for the US team.

Hopefully - any time Woods is in the team since 99 they have lost , the two times they have won since then is the two Ryder Cups he didn’t play . With his driving he won’t get away with it like you can on the US courses

He isn’t close to qualifying at the moment

Kuchar , Finau , Mickleson, Schuaffle would be the sensible picks - Kisner on the edge

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let's hope there are penalties for poor tee shots then. The rest of his game is superb but off the tee he is awful, for this level. I'm sure Bjorn will be watching the Americans generally spraying and hitting spectators for fun and be shaping Paris accordingly.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Let's hope there are penalties for poor tee shots then. The rest of his game is superb but off the tee he is awful, for this level. I'm sure Bjorn will be watching the Americans generally spraying and hitting spectators for fun and be shaping Paris accordingly.

I certainly wouldn't fancy being his Foursomes partner :)