Senior Ramblings

Hoganman1

Visit site
I just turned 70. I've been playing this great game for 55 years. I finally got serious about it in 1977 at age 27. Since then I've been trying to get better. My lowest handicap from a 7000 yard course was 7. Now I am a 12 from 6000 yards. Clearly, my best golf is in the rear view mirror, but I don't care. I want to continue to get better. That's what makes this game so wonderful. Enough about me. What I really want to say is how fortunate I've been to witness in person and on TV two of the greatest golfers of all time. Yes, I'm talking about Jack and Tiger. I missed out on seeing Hogan play. Obviously, I've studied his swing and through his book he was my first teacher. As great as he was I still think Jack and Tiger are the two greatest ever to play. I sincerely hope all you young guys who love the game like I do get to experience another player yet to come who will reach the level I think those two have achieved.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm closing in on 70 but have only played for about 20 years and I'm still working hard to try and attain a single digit handicap. I'm pleased to say that I have seen Tiger play a few times and he, I am sure, will be in the top 5 of all times golfers for as long as golf is played.

Yes, one or two will come along in time to challenge the record of Tiger and Jack and I hope for golf's sake that happens because all sports require the best of the best to drive the game on. I personally will never forget the hubbub when I first saw Tiger appear round the bend of one of the doglegs at Royal St George's in my first ever Open, the atmosphere was just something else. Roll on the next superstar!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i guy i play with is around 70 ( mentioned him many times on here) and has never been higher than 3 since he was teenager. his handicap is at a course thats 6800, most of the longer holes he now can't reach in two even with wood, its all about the short game for him... and he is deadly with the putter

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Got a 4 ball at our club, all in their 80s. Got out a few times a week when the weather is kind. One still has the best short game in the club!

I love your sentiments... when asked who was better (although one is still going!) Jack or Tiger... I say, Jack as he has more Majors...so far, but who cares? in their pomp, it they were wonderful to watch.

I'm 56, never been below 12, never had time to practice properly and never play regularly more than once a week... hope to cut the working hours soon and get to work on the handicap..... I'm hoping their is enough scope for improving technique to counter act the aging process! :ROFLMAO:

Ramble more often Hoganman .....

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Got a 4 ball at our club, all in their 80s. Got out a few times a week when the weather is kind. One still has the best short game in the club!

I love your sentiments... when asked who was better (although one is still going!) Jack or Tiger... I say, Jack as he has more Majors...so far, but who cares? in their pomp, it they were wonderful to watch.

I'm 56, never been below 12, never had time to practice properly and never play regularly more than once a week... work to cut the working hours soon and get to work on the handicap..... I'm hoping their is enough scope for improving technique to counter act the aging process! :ROFLMAO:

Ramble more often Hoganman .....
you might be in for a suprise, two guys i know who where both Cat1 3 and 4 handicaps who as soon as they retired handicaps when up... one is now off 12 i think and close to giving up... i think they paly too much and have lost the comp edge they had when working

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I first hit a ball in July '68, and by '71 was on the course almost every week. Come the summer holidays it was 6 weeks solid golf, often 54 holes a day + loads of short game practice. My first handicap was 18, and 14 a week later. Handicap secretaries back then used to wet their finger and stick it in the wind, or that's what it felt like. I remember my first birdie. It was on a 140yd par 3. Iron to the back of the green and rolled in a putt that gets longer whenever I think about it - and with a Penfold Commando.

Single figure handicap by the mid '70s, and there it stayed right up until the clubs were sold a couple of weeks back.

And the list of clubs I've been a member at; Wilton GC, Mold GC, Naas GC, Middlesbough Muni GC, Teesside GC, Cleveland GC, South Shields GC, Cleveland GC, Flixton GC, Sale GC, Cleveland GC, Wynyard GC, Newburgh GC, Murcar GC, Cruden Bay GC.

The characters we meet at every club are legend. But I'll relate just the one. His balance on life was incredible. He loved everyone. He never so much as growled at anyone. And his sense of humour... man, did he love a laugh. The back story; how does someone have such a view of life when he spent WW2 as a prisoner in Changi prison Singapore - if you haven't heard of it, have a read.

I watched Player win at Lytham with my dad. We went to the B&H at Fulford, and we went to the Lawrence Batley. Pro-celeb/Round with Alliss were regular viewing, and come the Open, if we weren't there, it was dads and lads in front of the TV. And in latter years I've been to numerous tournaments, both in the UK and in Europe, with HID and sons.

And the rounds I've played... loads. One that sticks in my mind was the final of an interclub league, both players off 5, played at an away course. 5 under gross after 7 holes, we shook hands on an 8 & 7 win for me. Another, my penultimate round, was played with my son. A Texas Scramble, my son off scratch(pro), me off 6, another off 14 and the 4th off 22. 4 drives from each player. 12 birdies and 2 eagles = 16 under par for 18 holes = we won by 5 shots.

I will sneak the odd round, hopefully maybe, but there's enough memories of great times and great people to keep me going... did I tell you of the time I was called a bandit as I went up to collect a prize in an Open. The mutterings from the floor were a little pointed, almost nasty. 44pts in wet and windy conditions. I got a round of applause and an apology when the Captain of the club said that 44pts off 4 was a bit special - that one made the Westmoreland Gazette. Like I said, great memories.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you might be in for a suprise, two guys i know who where both Cat1 3 and 4 handicaps who as soon as they retired handicaps when up... one is now off 12 i think and close to giving up... i think they paly too much and have lost the comp edge they had when working
This happened to me .
Off four when I retired and had a bit of a nasty ankle injury .
Out for a while and went up to eight.
Got it back to six last year so hopefully I am on my way back down.
Yes you can play to much and it gets robotic .
You need other things to do not just golf.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Yes, it seems like injuries creep into the mix once one gets older. Almost everyone of the senior players at my club have had some down time with knee, shoulder or back issues. I probably spend more on Aleve than I spend on golf balls.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
This happened to me .
Off four when I retired and had a bit of a nasty ankle injury .
Out for a while and went up to eight.
Got it back to six last year so hopefully I am on my way back down.
Yes you can play to much and it gets robotic .
You need other things to do not just golf.
niether of these two where Injured as far as i know, but they both play at least 5 times a wee kand in the summer at times that involves 3 comps a week too, i think some weeks they were playing more comps senior comp and 4/5 dayer too. i'm golfed out if i play more that 3 times TBH

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, it seems like injuries creep into the mix once one gets older. Almost everyone of the senior players at my club have had some down time with knee, shoulder or back issues. I probably spend more on Aleve than I spend on golf balls.
I spend at least 90mins in the gym strengthening my core three times a week.
I belive it’s helping me stay healthy and helping my golf.
It has a machine that replicates a golf swing and this has added extra power and length.
Three rounds a week is enough for me and some short game practice.
Let’s be honest there’s worse places to be than on a golf course.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

That is me you are describing.:love:
On the other hand my friend's dad retired at 67 off 8 handicap and in a couple of years got down to 2, he played well into his 80's off 3-5 handicap. Tough course as well.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Age and injuries from 6- 10 in just under 3 years for me. I still love the game and so long as I can keep swinging I will keep playing no matter how short a hitter I become (currently 40 yards down with a iron compared to when I was at my best).

I too missed seeing Hogan and only saw Palmer when he was past his prime.