Senior distances!

D

Deleted member 16999

Because my point is the same. As a short hitter, not quite in the senior category but creeping up slowly, it makes no odds if my 6 iron only goes 150 and others hit an 8 iron the same. As I said it's hitting it and finding it (so hitting well enough to keep it straight and in play) and making the best score I can hitting it the distances I do. Not sure why the slightly aggressive response?
Not aggressive at all simply asking you what was the purpose of posting in this thread, Delc's last line was "any tips" what was your's? It's not about you, it was Delc asking for help, your reply was not helping him😃

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Not aggressive at all simply asking you what was the purpose of posting in this thread, Delc's last line was "any tips" what was your's? It's not about you, it was Delc asking for help, your reply was not helping him😃
Obviously from his second reply, he (Homer) does know his distances, but in his first reply he said he wasn't interested in them!

D

Deleted member 16999

Obviously from his second reply, he (Homer) does know his distances, but in his first reply he said he wasn't interested in them!
Hence my confusion😃

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never got tied down with distances. Apart from being a short hitter anyway (and getting older all the time) I'm more interested in hitting it and finding it and getting it round in the lowest number.

I believe you !!!! so advancing years and less skill at a game you love doesn't niggle - not just one bit: right.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Those who allegedly hit the ball 'forum distances' can have a good laugh, but these are the distances I achieve as a 69 year old senior golfer in average conditions:
Driver 200-210 yards
3-wood 185-195 yards
3-hybrid 180 yards
5-hybrid 165 yards
5-iron 155 yards
6-iron 145 yards
7-iron 135 yards
8-iron 125 yards
9-iron 110 yards
PW 100 yards
GW up to 80 yards
SW up to 65 yards

And I am far from being the shortest hitting senior at our club! Back in my 40's and 50's, I could hit the ball much further and actually won several longest drive prizes! Any long par-4 is now a driver and a 3-wood or hybrid, followed by a pitch shot into the green with a short iron or a wedge. Makes scoring rather more difficult than it used to be! Any tips for getting more distance in old age? :)

i will let you know in 19yrs time. :thup:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Those who allegedly hit the ball 'forum distances' can have a good laugh, but these are the distances I achieve as a 69 year old senior golfer in average conditions:
Driver 200-210 yards
3-wood 185-195 yards
3-hybrid 180 yards
5-hybrid 165 yards
5-iron 155 yards
6-iron 145 yards
7-iron 135 yards
8-iron 125 yards
9-iron 110 yards
PW 100 yards
GW up to 80 yards
SW up to 65 yards

And I am far from being the shortest hitting senior at our club! Back in my 40's and 50's, I could hit the ball much further and actually won several longest drive prizes! Any long par-4 is now a driver and a 3-wood or hybrid, followed by a pitch shot into the green with a short iron or a wedge. Makes scoring rather more difficult than it used to be! Any tips for getting more distance in old age? :)

Do you need more distance though?

Being able to play to 12 while hitting these distances and being a self confessed poor player round the greens would suggest an extra 10-15 yards wouldn't really help

Unless you harbour thoughts of getting down to a single fig handicap in the coming seasons as you play into your 70's I'd suggest finding ways of maintaining your current distances over the next 5 years is a far more realistic objective (and improving your chipping)

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Do you need more distance though?

Being able to play to 12 while hitting these distances and being a self confessed poor player round the greens would suggest an extra 10-15 yards wouldn't really help

Unless you harbour thoughts of getting down to a single fig handicap in the coming seasons as you play into your 70's I'd suggest finding ways of maintaining your current distances over the next 5 years is a far more realistic objective (and improving your chipping)
If I could get a bit more distance, I could hit shorter irons into the greens, with more chance of getting on them and not leaving myself short chips. I am pretty good at short pitch shots, say down to 30 yards, it's inside that distance that I have problems with. When I was younger I could chip pretty well with a 7 or 8 iron, but then I got the putting yips which then spread into my chipping. I fixed my putting by changing to the claw grip with an oversized grip, but can't make this work for chipping. I basically now hit mini pitch shots with my my 55 or 60 degree wedges instead of chipping as such, but these are high risk shots which don't always come off! If possible I putt from off the greens, which is OK off fairways or fringe grass, but more risky from semi-rough. :(

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
P.S. Please don't suggest the use of a chipper because:

a) They are the work of the devil!

b) You are not allowed to fit oversize putter grips on them. With a standard round grip I am still prone to yipping with them!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
You asked for tips on hitting it further. One of the things I try at the range is hitting a longer than average drive when I need one. I use a bigger shoulder turn, bigger wrist cock & try hard not to hit from the top. If I get it wrong I produce a massive pull. The shot often goes a bit left so if I try it on the course I often aim it down the right.

I know it's hard for folks of our age but working on your flexibility helps, as does developing the golf muscles. I've got one of these:

http://www.thegolfshoponline.co.uk/...cMwATC1nj9pEFGrm_z_0qIndFl7vnmb7uwaAhzT8P8HAQ

I've not used it a lot & can hit it about 150 yards at the range. I intend to use it regularly, once recovered from my operation.

I find that, on par fours over 400 yards, I might as well try to hit a big one off the tee. If I miss it I've probably still got a 3 wood & wedge left but if it comes off I might reach the green. The length of the third shot is not dead important & I think it's worth the risk of trying to hit a big one. In one of his books Ben Hogan said that he often hit the driver as hard as he possibly could. This is OK as long as you're still in control.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Swinging a heavy club slowly teaches you to swing a heavy club slowly
And helps develop the golfing muscles. I'm finding it beneficial. It's interesting as well to see how you can only hit it straight if you swing down with the shoulders leading the arms & wait for the clubhead to come through. A hard feeling to describe but, for me, it encourages a correct downswing, not hitting from the top.