Self-diagnosing swing faults

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After a pretty bad round I filmed my swing in the back garden. To me it looks like I’m taking the club too inside on the takeaway and coming slightly over the top on the downswing as a result. I’ve googled some drills to sort this out and plan to go to the range to work on this before my next round.

Just curious whether anyone else films and analyses their own swing or should I accept that I’m not a scratch golfer and any diagnosis I have is likely to be more harm than help and see a pro.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have done it the other way around. Had lessons then if it goes wrong I film my swing and see if I am doing what I was told to do, or not. Filming highlights the reality, not what you imagine you are doing.

Self diagnosis is tricky unless you are confident that you know what your fault is and filming is just to confirm it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I keep meaning to get new videos of my swing in practise rounds, but I keep forgetting to ask my mates to do it. I haven't done a video in over a year so God knows what's happened in that time.

D

Deleted member 21258

Never filmed my swing until fairly recently(2-3 years ago), as recently technology meant you could in slow mo. Was a bit of a shock to see how poor my swing looked, doh :LOL:

I have always played around with my swing or feelings whilst swinging, to try to figure out what works and what doesn't work for me, its part of the fun of playing the game of golf for me.

Being able to see/feel the quickest way to improving your impact position and launch conditions(flight), is fun and the way I learn. Doing loads of full swing drills, just to improve the look of the swing, would bore the boobs off me, impact is where the fun is at.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have filmed the swing in the past, usually working on a swing change and then emailed it to my teaching professional to make sure I am working on the right things and it looks ok. I have tried filming and self diagnosing in the past but found correcting what looks like a fault usually leads to another compromise somewhere else. I'd rather go and get a lesson, see my swing on video and listen to the pro explain what is wrong and how to change it

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I have a little Casio digital camera which does 210 20 1,000 frames per second. I often set it up at the range &, knowing my own swing, it's easy to see the usual faults creeping back in. Feel v. real is extremely illuminating. What feels like a massive change normally doesn't look much different when seen on video.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
After a pretty bad round I filmed my swing in the back garden. To me it looks like I’m taking the club too inside on the takeaway and coming slightly over the top on the downswing as a result. I’ve googled some drills to sort this out and plan to go to the range to work on this before my next round.

Just curious whether anyone else films and analyses their own swing or should I accept that I’m not a scratch golfer and any diagnosis I have is likely to be more harm than help and see a pro.

Yes you can if you are a very accomplished player who knows what they are doing, if not then follow what you said in the last sentence .

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having had many lessons through the years, I would say you need a trained pair of eyes watching you that can actually see where youre going wrong. We might think we know whats wrong, but I have found invariably there's something else causing that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to use the patio doors as a mirror to check set up.

I only once filmed myself (video recorder days ) and saw pretty much what I expected to see.

Doubt if it the same though these days.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Yes you can if you are a very accomplished player who knows what they are doing, if not then follow what you said in the last sentence .
I disagree. If you've had lessons & the pro has shown you what your faults are it's often possible to view the video of your swing & determine whether you've slipped back, which is what has just happened to me. I hadn't seen my swing for some time & was shocked at how flat I'd become - again. Now working on the points the pro gave me at my last lesson.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I disagree. If you've had lessons & the pro has shown you what your faults are it's often possible to view the video of your swing & determine whether you've slipped back, which is what has just happened to me. I hadn't seen my swing for some time & was shocked at how flat I'd become - again. Now working on the points the pro gave me at my last lesson.
Do you not consider yourself an "accomplished player who knows what they are doing" then?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I disagree. If you've had lessons & the pro has shown you what your faults are it's often possible to view the video of your swing & determine whether you've slipped back,

I think the Op was asking if he should see a pro or diagnose his swing himself

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I pretty much self diagnose all the time. Only occasionally will I go to one specific pro to get on the Trackman to see what's up. I feel I have a good idea of the faults and features of my swing, if it starts going off the planet, I normally have a good idea off what's wrong, launch and ball flight are always a good clue, and most faults repeat themselves when you get lazy/tired/anxious.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The issue with this for me is the difference between feel and reality. I have a number of feel cues. I feel I swing in to out with a driver, reality is it's pretty straight on. I feel I have a 3/4 swing, its a full swing. I feel I take the clubhead back very slowly. Probably don't.

These are all things I concentrate on in my swing, particularly if I feel I need to fix something. I got these from spending time with my pro and he watched that I was doing the right things and I described how I feel through it and I got my cues.

To prove my point, I often feel I have swung like DJ. Definitely not, he's a shorter hitter. ;)