Seeking advice

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I have just taken over M&H and had a situation I am not sure how best to handle it.

Our monthly Stablefords are 3 balls Tee Books between 8am and 13:30pm and tee slots between 8:30 ~ 10:30 is very popular as you can imagine.

There are a group of 3 long standing members who like to play around 9am and far enough fastest finger first tend to a get a place, however this Saturday one of them waited until until 11:40pm the night before to pull out, in my know that to slot would not be filled and then turned up to play with his two friends who did play in the comp and so I'm told its not the first time

Knowing that at as Senior he is very protective about his single figure H.I, when I challenged him his reply was that he never plays singles competition when the course is so muddy and as its a members club if he wants to play he will.

I pointed out its members club and the competition tee slots were for players who are playing in the comp, as expected his reply the slot was free.

As I feel this is not fair to other members who are trying to book and early tee slot I want avoid this in the future, any suggestions?

Thanks

NearHull

Visit site
A lot depends on the Terms of Competitions that you (your predecessor) has set. The competition entry terms and conditions should consider a member pulling out of a previously registration of a competition entry. Obviously, exceptional circumstances are acceptable, but the TOC should be very clear on the sanctions for such a player. In essence , he is manipulating his handicap.
As an aside, our Bye Laws have sanctions for members who regularly abuse the booking system.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At my club, people pulling out at short notice (within 48 hours iirc) must present an excuse to the comp committee. Unacceptable reasons mean you can't book a competition slot for a few weeks.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At my club, people pulling out at short notice (within 48 hours iirc) must present an excuse to the comp committee. Unacceptable reasons mean you can't book a competition slot for a few weeks.

Is lashing rain and 40mph winds an acceptable excuse?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Few options.
1. A reserve list, though could be difficult to give player 1st on list sufficient warning.
2. Make it 'competition only'. Only folk to be inconvenienced are him (can't play) and his mates who are now a 2-ball.
3. Sanction if it happens too frequently. It's likely not the comp he's interested in so much as playing with his mates.
4. Ignore it. Depends if and how many couldn't play because slots were full.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
1. A reserve list, though could be difficult to give player 1st on list sufficient warning.
2. Make it 'competition only'. Only folk to be inconvenienced are him (can't play) and his mates who are now a 2-ball.

Problem with No1 is other tee times may be free later in the day so a reserve list would not come into force.

No.2 This is how it works at ours, difficult to get the morning slots and very frustrating when you see lots of two balls, usually happens when we have rain forecast.

The Bear

Visit site
Our club has an effective policy in place which states that on Sunday mornings up till a certain cutoff (circa 2pm), these are competition spots. If you wish to take a competition slot then you will be charged the competition entry fee whether you enter the competition or not. If you remove your name from the timesheet in advance of 6pm the previous evening then you will not be charged.