Scratch Matchplay against the Pro

3PuttCharlie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's my birthday today...so my local club Pro Richard Lawless agreed to play me over 18 holes (he's also a good friend)

So we went off for the day to Upavon Golf Club in Wiltshire and had a great time. Thursday special of only £12 FOR 18 HOLES - an absolute bargain.

The staff and members were all very friendly and we happily tucked into a full english breakfast and a few coffees before we started.

scratch matchplay was the order of the day. front 9, back 9 and overall

I had a great start on the first, making Birdie and Rich made Bogey. (1 Up to me)
The next few holes went with par, until I made birdie on a shortish par 5 to go 2up.
I won the 9th to go 3 up - and the birthday gods were smiling on me - 3-up at the turn...it's in the bag I thought - happy days

then Rich did his pro stuff.

I can't say what happened really as I felt I personally played better on the back 9. I hit fairways and hit greens in reg but did miss a few putts

and he just played awesome golf!

long story short I lost the back nine 5 down and lost the match overall 2 down...with Rich smiling innocently all the while

it was a great experience and a great day out. it's a joy to watch really good golfers

I'm now off to eat birthday cake and drink a bottle of red :)

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not played Upavon for years! mate of mine used to be a member there. quite liked the course IIRC.. happy birthday! hope you dont have a sore head from too much rouge!

3PuttCharlie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the birthday wishes, much appreciated :)

I was lucky enough to get some new kit to celebrate

Cleveland 588 wedges 50 & 64 and a nice Galvin Green Wind Top

can't wait to have a knock with them next weekend