scotty cameron

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have two scotty camerons, both circa 62s, a number one and a number 2. Lovely putters, but the merest hint of dampness, and they start to rust. The black oxide finish is great to look at, but rubbish to look after.

So, I took the plunge, and bought a new studio select newport 1.5 in stainless. Again, lovely putter, and no worries about rust. However, when the sun shines, it gleams off the top edge, and blinds you. (you don't notice this in the shop).

Is this bloke ever going to make a putter with a practical finish?

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Or a headcover that doesn't look like a 3 year olds Nursery afternoon art class? I wanted a funky headcover for my beloved Niro but I had to change my underwear when I saw the price of Camerons 'sought after and limited edition' guff on ebay. £70 for a putter COVER!
I plumped in the end for a YES! Cover in bright yellow (matches my putter grip and my Nike headcovers)....brand new it was - £9.50 plus a quid for p+p. Its exactly the same thing as Camerons, fur lined, magnetic closing strip, funky embroidered design - the man is ripping people off. We oughtta drop him like a bad habit.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Trouble is I like a swept neck, and all the bettinardis end in a dog leg. I know where you are coming from though.

I have looked at a lot of ping putters, but it's a brand I don't like (no idea why, except my dad has always played ping), and I have always found their putters feel like a childs toy when compared to a scotty.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The head cover for the studio select looks like an astronauts boot (silver) who has been stomping through a strawbwerry field (three big red circles on the 'sole').

Hmmm, tasteful.

Don't even get a pitch mark repairer any more.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry guys but I think if you're a good putter you can putt with anything. I've only ever had 3 putters in my life. A wilson (i loved it), An oddessy #4 (not bad) and now I have a scotty newport (i enjoy it). Out of the 3 they all miss putts the same as the other. Or maybe it's just me!!!!!

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree my putter cost me £15 from JJB. Once I tried it I took it straight to the counter. I'll be buying a new one for a long time either, no point. I've tried my bosses £170 Bettinardi.....exactly the same thing to my mind.

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a Scotty Newport Detour and LOVE it. I spent about three hours in a large shop in the U.S selecting a putter & this one just did it for me.

I have a friend who has 9 ( yes 9 ) Scotty putters and uses a different one each time we play. I tell him he is a putter slut and needs to show loyalty, respect and love to one putter as he would a woman to expect a return !! :cool:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yes, if you can putt (which I can) you could putt with anything. But, you spend a lot of time looking down on it, and it helps to have one you like the look and feel of.

I love both my circa 62s, but because they rust so easily, I find it distracts me as I spend time trying to look after them on the course, especially in the rain. The stainless one was supposed to resolve this, except it is rubbish in bright sunlight. Guess I will need to carry both in the boot, and decide on the day which goes in the bag, while I continue my search for the perfect flat stick.

Bunkersaves - does your newport not light up in bright sun?

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You could try the "como como come" covers they are good value and well funky (spelling awful btw)

sbrandon

Hacker
Visit site
I had a two ball SRT which i just didn't get on with. Someone then gave me a Ping B60i which i loved but for some reason i recently started missing puts all over the place. I just bought a Mezza Monza from golfbidder and im putting like a demon again. I think a change of putter every now again seems to help. I'll defo keep the two of them just in case.