Scotty Cameron and Ping (etc) fan groups on FaceBook

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
These make me laugh.

The Scotty Cameron one is full of folk who seem to collect Putters by the dozen and they never leave the display cabinet. They pay $150 a year for a membership pack (largely tat) and to get early sight of "releases" of expensive stuff that, if they get in early enough (before it goes) will also stay in a cupboard or go on eBay for a profit. Folk put pictures of their clubs on the site and they get dozens of replies saying that the club is a fake! Lots of infractions for over-use of "gamer" and "gaming" too! :)

The "Old School Ping" group is quite different. Much more friendly and helpful... I suspect they are all old blokes with beards (and had beards before they became hip again!) who still play with their prized clubs and see the users of Eye2 as "avant-garde!" Lots of references to BeCu and "the legal battle!"

...there are plenty of others! Anyone a regular visitor of these?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm on the scotty one, but i don't go on the page that often, but i do seem to get lots of pics of scotty head covers and bags that cost a packet for some reason

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
The best (worst) one is Adam Youngs Advanced Golfers group. Its chock full of advice know one wanted, from miss informed buzz word spewing half wits. God forbid anyone posts a swing video, they get dozens of well meaning posts contradicting in every way.

Even Adam Young has left!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The Rick Shiels podcast group - does my absolute swede in!

User posts - Wayhay, hit my first 250 yard drive today
Comments - No you didnt, not with that swing, why are you lying? Do you think youre the next Bryson? He is the next Tiger woods! Theres no way on this earth you hit it past 220. OOO bet you think its next stop PGA tour.

SO Negative it hurts.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
From another viewpoint, there's also reality and people tell lies.

You can see it on here, absolute blatant lies that are obviously dubious at the time, then get proved by contradictions days, weeks or months later.

Some people can't help themselves, it's great when they get pulled up for it.

Theres a few on there for sure, probably more, but id say 90% of posts are just arguments :ROFLMAO: not a friendly golf community - It's nicer here

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are a whole range of Cameron groups. Some are for old school collectors who talk about the details of original putters like trainspotters comparing steam engines "No, Nigel, that one never ran between Darlington and Durham" and never buy and sell their putters through public sites. Others are for people who think they can make money from buying cheap and selling dear, except they don't know enough to avoid buying knock off fakes. Sound like you were closer to the second than the first.

I dabbled in this world a while back, had a number of Camerons and even scheduled a US business trip so I could go to the Collectors Convention in Ohio. Scotty turned up and told some stories and did a Q&A. It was a lot of fun. I don't collect them any more and only have putters I will use.

If you don't like these world, step away and do something else that interests you more.

RichA

Visit site
Just for balance, you do realise that the 94% of the population who have no interest in hitting balls with sticks probably find most of the topics on this forum equally laughable.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Rick Shiels podcast group - does my absolute swede in!

User posts - Wayhay, hit my first 250 yard drive today
Comments - No you didnt, not with that swing, why are you lying? Do you think youre the next Bryson? He is the next Tiger woods! Theres no way on this earth you hit it past 220. OOO bet you think its next stop PGA tour.

SO Negative it hurts.

Didn't like my cooking photo earlier then ?

sunshine

Visit site
Just for balance, you do realise that the 94% of the population who have no interest in hitting balls with sticks probably find most of the topics on this forum equally laughable.

Steady on, you think as many as 6% have an interest in the topics on this forum? :unsure:

0.6% maybe, we are the geeks :geek::ROFLMAO: