Scottish Golf

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Scottish Golf has not had good press over the last few years and this could spark a rebellion amongst clubs who already feel they're not getting value for money.
I don't see they will have any choice. As I read it, that's how all clubs and national unions will handle it in the future under WHS.
Given this is an averaging system, the software will have to have access to the full playing record of any player from anywhere in the world who happens to be playing on that course on that day. That would mean each club's database would have to hold this data.
The ISV systems will simply process competition results and hold the clubs players' handicap index down loaded from the master system overnight.

D

Deleted member 1418

Some Scottish golf clubs obviously read my post on the SNP thread and thought it was a good idea!!!!!! 🤭😉😂😂😂

User20204

Visit site
That article only gives part for the full statement given by Scottish Golf, I still have a copy of the full correspondence and when I read it initially the first thing I thought was Scottish Golf trying to stitch things up for themselves as tbh I don't fully understand it all.

However, can I take a guess that they are trying to get rid of the likes of HDID/ClubV1/Masters scoreboard etc etc ?? and control it all ? If that is indeed their plan then they are more dubious than the Trump WH administration with they're connections to Russia and Ukraine put together.

However, I may have totally misunderstood it all.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the following on good authority.

CONGU confirmed at a meeting that all player's WHS handicap indexes will be the property of the player's National Union (not owned by the player or their club).

The National Unions will forbid the publication of these handicap indexes anywhere on the internet, other than their own website. This will help the National Unions reinforce the fact that they will have ownership of all player's WHS handicaps, which will be the property of the respective National Unions (not be the property of the clubs or the players themselves).

This will mean that player's current indexes cannot be listed on clubs' websites, etc. However, the clubs' websites may provide links to the National Union website for the purpose of looking up handicap indexes. Much the same as authorised club or competition officials may check on the CDH or individual players can check their own.

It is believed that clubs will still be able to print handicap lists for publication in their clubhouse and the ISV software will be able to inform players of their "handicap index", "course handicap" and "playing handicap" for a competition they are signing in, in much the same way that they currently show "exact handicap" and "playing handicap" now.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The R&A and USGA own the WHS system and authorise the national associations to implement and manage the system within their area of jurisdiction, including the issuance of a Handicap Index. The Handicap Index is one of the terms which is a registered mark of the owners.
Clubs are simply permitted to administer the system.

Much the same as the DVLA own the car registration number but the owner of the car is licensed to use the number. Only the DVLA can give permission to associate a number to the owner of a vehicle.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Standard business practice. Protect your intellectual property rights.

Not really sure what it is they are protcting though?

If someone asks you what your index is are you going to reply sorry I can't tell you because its owned by Scottish/English/Welsh etc Golf? Of course you are not! I fully understand that the golf unions maintain your handicap or indeed are the custodian of your handicap and that is what part of the yearly sub/fee is for. Just seems rather OTT or are they creating a "monopoly".

User20204

Visit site
or are they creating a "monopoly".

i wouldn't say they are creating it but on the face of it it seems they are protecting it and they're on future self interest though it might have been an idea to have done that when they allowed every social club or works golf section to become official clubs.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Will this mean the end of HDID, Master Scoreboard and the likes ?
The ISVs will continue to manage entry, score entry, the uploading of scores etc and the downloading of handicap updates, gross score (adjusted for PCC) etc.
I don't think it is clear yet exactly what HDID and MS will be permitted to publish. But I get the impression that it is lists of players' Indices that will be prohibited on any website rather than an individual's access to their own full record. I also understand that the ISVs will be able to show Index, Course Handicap and Playing Handicap when a player signs in.