Scorecard yardages

D

Deleted member 16999

Depends on the Course, my current Club yardages are to the middle the same as our fairway markers, a previous course I was a member of the card yardages were again to the middle, but the fairway markers were to the front of the greens.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The yardages on the card are to the middle. They would have been measured and set when the course was measured for the WHS for the course rating certificate.

Yardages from marker plates post etc - it will be advised on the card. Most commonly they are to the middle of the green.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The official measurement under WHS is from the permanent yardage marker to the centre of the green. All courses are now rated according to the USGA specification which states that.
To make sense the cards should be the same.

The convention for fairway marker is simply that, a convention.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What convention?
In GB&I usually to centre. In continental Europe (southern at least) to front. But being a convention means it is not a rule.
Some say there are many exceptions to rules but I reckon there are very many more exceptions to conventions. ;)

But the Certificate of Measurement is now always to the centre.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yardage markers to greens seem to follow no set pattern but I would say distance to the middle is more common.

Last edited:

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In GB&I usually to centre. In continental Europe (southern at least) to front. But being a convention means it is not a rule.

Think you’re just making things up there….better courses now actually have 2 or 3 numbers….there is no convention…just how the bloke who measures it does it, the way the owner/free keeper asks them, or how they feel on the day……