Scaphoid and golf

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Seems we average one of these thread topics each year so I’ll get in early for 2018...

Cracked my scaphoid bone in my wrist a couple days ago and looks like 6-8 weeks for the cast, so close to two months off the golf
Luckily I got xray’d & cast same day rather than assuming a bad sprain so hopefully it’ll heal on time

Still plan to hit the practice green for some one handed putting and maybe one handed chip shots too and trying to convince myself the chipping practice will at least help with practicing a clean contact & roll out distances and the putting practice for pace
(or am I fooling myself and these kind of drills wont actually have a positive effect when i go back to two handed shots?)

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry to hear! Good that you got a cast on straight away. I broke my scaphoid two times and both times were severely misdiagnosed, taking multiple x rays and a ct scan, which I had to keep asking for.

First time I remember it taking 6 months before I could do a press up, stretching the hand back put so much stress through that part of wrist.

Rehab helped lot of good info on the web for this injury.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Cheers, yeah been reading a few bits on rehab already and came across a Paula Creamer vid for a one-handed chipping drill so maybe there's some merit to that after all

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Agree that it's great that you have had it diagnosed straight away, i had mine missed in the initial X-ray and ended up with a bone graft being taken from my hip and a screw holding it together, was off golf for about 6 months, I still don't have full flexibility in the wrist and can't put enough weight on it to do press ups.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Agree that it's great that you have had it diagnosed straight away, i had mine missed in the initial X-ray and ended up with a bone graft being taken from my hip and a screw holding it together, was off golf for about 6 months, I still don't have full flexibility in the wrist and can't put enough weight on it to do press ups.

Ouch
Read many others say the same about it getting missed initially. I guess since i have to pay (& claim on insurance) the doc was quite happy to 'maximize' the treatment running multiple xrays, casts, bandages etc

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did mine when I was 16playing in goal.
Doc said it was a sprained wrist .
just put up with it until I was 28 when I did it again .
doctor seen it this time and I had a graft from my elbow .
Never been the same since cant really put any weight on it still today.
So look after it and don’t be silly until it heals.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seems we average one of these thread topics each year so I’ll get in early for 2018...

Cracked my scaphoid bone in my wrist a couple days ago and looks like 6-8 weeks for the cast, so close to two months off the golf
Luckily I got xray’d & cast same day rather than assuming a bad sprain so hopefully it’ll heal on time

Still plan to hit the practice green for some one handed putting and maybe one handed chip shots too and trying to convince myself the chipping practice will at least help with practicing a clean contact & roll out distances and the putting practice for pace
(or am I fooling myself and these kind of drills wont actually have a positive effect when i go back to two handed shots?)

Not good. Hope the recovery is swift and complete but don't rush it. Make sure you take the advice given and do the rehab. Good luck with the one handed drills and update us when you are back playing if it had a positive impact