Saunton East

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Third day of the tour and played on probably the hardest course on the hardest weather conditions possible. Amber warnings from the Met Office forecasted very heavy rain and gale force winds. So we played...

The executive decision was to play off the yellow tabs for this one. The white sticks would have been a tour of duty, especially as the first was a savage par four of 450+ yards into the wind!! This was as munch as test of character, test of patience, test of wet weather gear and a test of your swearing skills.

Although directly next to the East course, the West is sufficiently different. More undulations, harder greens, tighter fairways and finally the worst and most savage rough ever created. No joke, but if you put your ball in the stupendously thick, tangled, opaque rough, you were playing a provisional for sure. One of our group lost 7 balls and he plays off 6... And I haven't mentioned about properly blind tee shots and severe run offs on some greens.

it is difficult to remember holes as the weather was just so bad. Needless to say club selection is paramount on all shots. The fairways and green were superb with excellent drainage.

It's a great course with impossible rough. I would love to play this and the West when the weather is far better. Thoroughly recommended but bring plenty of spare balls!

P.S. I used MacWet double gloves that day. They were phenomenal in the rain. An essential purchase if you want 100% grip assurance when raining.

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the rough conditions. I too played the East in foul weather a few years back and would love to play it in the sunshine. Superb course, each hole a real test and that little par 3 (Tiddler) is one of trickiest you'll find anywhere.

For a top course I found them really friendly and welcoming.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Played the East course last two years in November and March, and we played in tshirts with hardly any wind. Lovely course, and not easy even in perfect conditions. Played the West course both times as well and it was very windy. First hole down wind we nearly drove, second hole back into the wind, same length was two woods.