Ryder Cup points if ill

Visit site
Can anyone confirm that if a player falls ill for the Sunday singles then his match would be considered 1/2pt each?
I seem to remember this happening some years ago (though it could just be a senior moment!) and the match was considered halved, in the spirit of the cup, rather than lost through failure to show.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Didn't Christie Kerr forfeit her singles match at the Solheim Cup last year because she was injured, or are the rules different for the Ryder Cup?

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It did happen in the Ryder Cup but the player (I think it was Steve Pate hurt in a car prang?) pulled out before the pairings for the singles were annonunced. Hence it was a half and Europe could nominate anyone for the aftenoon off.

Gonna look this up now! Something tells me David Gilford was involved.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It did happen in the Ryder Cup but the player (I think it was Steve Pate hurt in a car prang?) pulled out before the pairings for the singles were annonunced. Hence it was a half and Europe could nominate anyone for the aftenoon off.

Gonna look this up now! Something tells me David Gilford was involved.

Cant find too much but in 1991, the first singles result was Pate getting a 1/2 V Gilford. I think this was when it happened.

BTW - Chistie Kerr warmed up and suffered the injury then, resulting in her forfeitting the match.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Before play, each team captain puts a name in an envelope (usually the weakest player). If someone withdraws due to illness/injury, the name in the envelope for the opposite team is also withdrawn and the other players play against each other in the order in which they remain.

Pate's WD in 1991 was controversial because he had managed to play in some of the pairs matches and there is a school of thought that his WD was encouraged by his mercurial game (and temperament) being off the boil.