Rusty wedges?

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have heard things mentioned about rusty wedges, and how they give you extra feel.

If this is true, and they do give you more feel, can anyone explain why?

hellbunker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
a mate of mine has rusty wedges and after having tried them they are on the shopping list for this year...they clearly add spin to the ball and (particularly on a 60*) reduce/eliminate glare...

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I don’t agree, I think it’s a touch over-rated and hype to sell clubs. I’m sure you could get more spin from a rusty club and a marked golf ball to boot, but you’ll be relying on it being well rusty. I prefer a club that doesn’t rely on being rusty in order to get a consistent performance.

As for the glare? Well there’s other makes that have satin and dark finishes without sitting the club in a bucket of water. :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
a mate of mine has rusty wedges and after having tried them they are on the shopping list for this year...they clearly add spin to the ball and (particularly on a 60*) reduce/eliminate glare...

a brisk rub down with a brillo pad might be cheaper!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to agree. I have a rusty vokey oil can finish lob wedge. I have to say that a) it probably shouldn't be in my bag at all for the amount of time I use it and b) I'm not good enought to get the full benefit of the extra spin. If I do put extra spin it invariably hurts the shot more than helps it

BlackDot

Hacker
Visit site
It's really refreshing hearing honest comments on this forum. I was just thinking about all these people on here talking about increased feel and levels of spin and i'm thinking how many of these golfers land their ball on the front of the green watch it spin back 2 feet down the bank into the bunker then say to their opponent "oh well got some nice spin on it" I think I hear it every week :D

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
i have a callaway 60 degree rusty wedge and last nite i was tryin a few flop shops, the ball was stopping dead on the range and when i really give it some welly it did come back. I probably wouldnt try these shots on the course but i take comfort from the fact that if i need to get the ball up and down and stop quickly, that extra rust might hold it on a down sloping green. And as mentioned, the rustier it gets the less it glares! All down to preference i suppose.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
It's really refreshing hearing honest comments on this forum. I was just thinking about all these people on here talking about increased feel and levels of spin and i'm thinking how many of these golfers land their ball on the front of the green watch it spin back 2 feet down the bank into the bunker then say to their opponent "oh well got some nice spin on it" I think I hear it every week :D

Blackdot....good point. Consistent reaction from the club is what I’m looking, not particularly backspin, but getting the ball to check especially with shots around the green.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site

Blackdot, when I put spin on the ball it is not so it comes back 30 ft but so the ball doesn't bounce through the green. For us 'ordinary golfers' it is about control and getting the ball on the green and not the fancy pro shot than screws back off the green.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have had both, and I can't say the spin is any different. The anti glare finish is ok though.

With the rust aspect, unless the club was seriously rusty, I can't see it making any difference. Every time you clean the grooves (ie: pretty much after every shot), you are removing any rust that is there in any quantity. What is left is microscopic, and will be negated by any grass or damp you get between the club and ball.

What makes a ball spin (backwards or to a stop) is hitting it properly, and having aggressive grooves. I get equal spin from my rusty sm vokeys, and my bright chromed Macgregor pw.

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its probably a bit of personal preference. I have now got 2 Titliest Vokey (54,58) and love them. But the key to me is having a quality club I know can do the job and just hope and pray each time I use them that I am adequate and worthy of not flopping the shot into, rather than over, the bunker.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
Feel is all about sound anyway. If you stick earplugs in and get someone to pass you a series of clubs, both forged and cast, you'll not notice any real difference. My irons are forged, but they 'feel' harder than my old MX15s becasuse they sound harder.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
The rust is a by product of the materials used in the club which is designed to give more feel round the green these days. The rust is not supposed to be performance enhancing, to give an example the vokey spin mill oil can series, they have a fingerprint mill on the face which does a far far better job at giving more spin than a surface blemish ever will.