Rules question

gb6

Visit site
Whilst playing a round yesterday, i hit my second shot (parr 4), from around 110yards to approx 2 feet from the pin on the green, my playing partner then hit his 2nd shot from around 90yards on to the green. His ball ran on to the green and hit my ball, knocking it into the hole.
I was under the impression that i should replace my ball to where it was. My friend says that it should stay where it stops.
Any views?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As far as I'm aware you play it from where it finishes, ie in the hole.

Remember the bird that lifted the ball off the green on the 17th at Sawgrass? There was no replacing the ball on the green there, it was a 3rd shot from the DZ

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just had a look up on it, ball at rest moved by outside agency gets replaced, if your ball was still moving it is considered a rub of the green and the hole out would count.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
As far as I'm aware you play it from where it finishes, ie in the hole.

Remember the bird that lifted the ball off the green on the 17th at Sawgrass? There was no replacing the ball on the green there, it was a 3rd shot from the DZ

Rule 18-1 says that

"If a ball at rest is moved by an outside agency, there is no penalty and the ball must be replaced."

A bird is an "outside agency" and the R&A site even has a nice picture of some ducks with a ball to illustrate this.

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx#/rules/?ruleNum=18&subRuleNum=1

I guess in the Sawgrass situation the ball was still moving. Actually come to think of it I think I have seen this and the ball was still rolling when the bird picked it up.

Just checked YouTube

Unfortunately it isn't very clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uXZ3_A2nGs

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just found this

Decision 19-1/6 Ball Picked Up or Deflected by Dog on Putting Green After Stroke from Off Green

"Q. A ball played from off the green was about a foot from the hole and still in motion when it was moved by a dog to a spot about ten feet from the hole. The ball was either deflected by the dog or the dog picked it up, ran with it and dropped it. What is the ruling?

"A. If the ball was deflected, it would be played as it lay, without penalty, from the spot to which it was moved by the dog (Rule 19-1).

If the dog picked up the ball, the player should have placed the ball, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where the original ball was when the dog picked it up (Rule 19-1a)."

So what was the Sawgrass ruling?