Rules Question

Brendan

Club Champion
Visit site
Due to all the rain recently, winter rules had being inforced in our last match.

The usual one club lenght in the rough six inches on the fairway.

I was off the edge of the green put a peg beside the ball and placed it with in six inches. Problem now was that after the ball was placed and the peg removed the ball rolled about an inch.

Whats the ruling?

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I have never heard of one club in the rough before to me its only on fairways anyhooos I would say that there is no problem with the above as long as you hadn't addressed the ball and replaced it.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
For a start, one club length in the rough is not usual, must be a local rule as usually you only get preferred lies on the fairway.

The ball is in play when placed, it didn't move in the process of placing, it wasn't moved by an outside agency, so one stroke penalty (20-3a, 20-1 and 18-2a)

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
The "lift clean and place" local rule suggested by the rule book includes the following : "A player may place his ball only once, and it is in play when it has been placed (Rule 20-4). If the ball fails to come to rest on the spot on which it is placed, Rule 20-3d applies. If the ball when placed comes to rest on the spot on which it is placed and it subsequently moves, there is no penalty and the ball must be played as it lies, unless the provisions of any other Rule apply."
So, no penalty, play as it lies.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
For a start, one club length in the rough is not usual, must be a local rule as usually you only get preferred lies on the fairway.

Yes, I'd certainly agree with you there, most courses play preferred lies on fairways only but many, mine included descend into mudbaths for much of the winter and need more relief.
Some play preferred lies through the green but we play "lift, clean, place" on fairways and "lift, clean, drop" in the rough to preseve the advantage of hitting a fairway. Down to the individual course really.

Brendan

Club Champion
Visit site

Yes, I'd certainly agree with you there, most courses play preferred lies on fairways only but many, mine included descend into mudbaths for much of the winter and need more relief.
Some play preferred lies through the green but we play "lift, clean, place" on fairways and "lift, clean, drop" in the rough to preseve the advantage of hitting a fairway. Down to the individual course really.

Thought it was a common winter rule. you learn something new everyday. Its great ruling when your stuck at the foot of a tree :)