Rules for a tied game?

Croghancupper

Visit site
Hi, for the last few years myself and 4 friends have got together to hold an annual golf match using the stableford scoring method. This has become a prestigous event in our own sporting calenders with a trophy and lots of banter!

For the first time last year we had a tie and my understanding was that in the event of a tie we used the countback method to determine the winner? The club that we played at advised that this was their rule in club competitions.

This caused a bit of a debate as the loser on countback preferred to cling on to a tie and indeed refused to enter into a play off as suggested by other groups members.

Please can you tell me what the general guidance or procedures would be for this. Its a very informal game so we dont have any rule boook as such, but clearly play to the rules of golf as they apply.

thanks

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
The accepted method for stableford comps is the coutback method. This would use the back nine holes to find the winner. If still tied then go to last 6 holes , then 3 , 2 and 1 as necessary. If still tied then do what you want , play-off, toss a coin , chipping/putting comp etc etc

The chap who is complaining just needs to man up and accept that hes 2nd place , life is like that so get over it.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I suppose it shows that you should always agree the rules up front even in informal games. No need to go into too much detail but deciding who wins in the event of a tie is pretty basic.

Agree 100% with jammydodger though. Given the rules were not agreed up front the only solution is to go with the accepted method which is countback.

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in a 8 guy 3 day society tournament last weekend (Fri/Sun) and was level with my nephew going into the last day. It was arranged that the leading 4 players would go out together, but before we started we agreed that we would do a countback on the back 9 then 6 then 3 then 1 if there was a tie.

After the first 9 holes I was 2 points behind my nephew and tried to put some pressure on him by saying that all I had to do was get back the 2 points thus I would win on countback. Should have known better the little bugger ended up beating me by 3 points.

The countback system mentioned above is what we use at my club.