Rule question

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi guys just wana run this by ye please .. you are in a bunker with no chance of moving the ball forward , so you can only play sideways .. you enter the bunker to asses your options .. you decide playing out to the right is your best option , then you realise your bag is in your line can you get out to move it ?? you have not built a stance.. so can you leave the bunker to do this or would you be penalised for "testing the sand"? you havent grounded the club .... as a side to this would it be a penalty if you had built a stance then got out ??

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Walking into a bunker and building a stance is not testing the sand. Nor is leaving the bunker to either move your equipment or check the line of play, say if the bunker was deep and you couldn't see clearly from it.

If you'd have hit the bag on the other hand, then that's a penalty.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Something similar happened to me quite a few years ago.
I hit the bunker shot. The ball hit the lip of the bunker, came back and hit me for a 2 shot penalty. Nothing went right that day :(

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Walking into a bunker and building a stance is not testing the sand. Nor is leaving the bunker to either move your equipment or check the line of play, say if the bunker was deep and you couldn't see clearly from it.

Cheers mate, thats what we thought, no he didnt hit the bag . .. this happened last week end . a guy asked his playing partner to move his clubs for him as they were on the line he was going to play out on.. he reckoned if he was to leave the bunker it would be a penalty for testing the sand.. .. we were chating bout it and both thought that does not sound right . thanks

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Something similar happened to me quite a few years ago.
I hit the bunker shot. The ball hit the lip of the bunker, came back and hit me for a 2 shot penalty. Nothing went right that day :(

Feel free to do it again - it's only one shot penalty now.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
thats because you have slicks fitted, try the winter knobbly tyres but be careful as they do leave indentations on the green.