Rule interpretation

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I noticed this morning my grips were very cold. Definitely no where near the operating temps of the rubber.
Would it be illegal to warm your grips up before a round and use an insulated bag ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Okay, so golf ball technology is moving away from simple rubber compounds and hence we see very little differences or differences that make you think I can be bothered.
The rubber grips on your clubs are a different kettle of fish altogether...
Imagine how grip is generated in rubber, it's all related to the compliance of the rubber molecules. If the rubber molecules are not compliant they don't deform and they don't interact as closely with your hands. Its very similar to tyre grip on the road or track ... the pattern of the grip must also have an impact because a tyre pattern and rubber compound have to be closely matched to achieve performance.
So I am thinking that this probably is illegal if you were to warm your grips as you walked around the course. However it's not illegal if you warm your grips up before you go out and they sit in an insulated bag. I suggest you all do a little test at home .. how much grip you get from the club just out of the garage vs one that has sat on a warm radiator for 10 mins ..

Then can we revisit the question is it illegal ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Okay, so golf ball technology is moving away from simple rubber compounds and hence we see very little differences or differences that make you think I can be bothered.
The rubber grips on your clubs are a different kettle of fish altogether...
Imagine how grip is generated in rubber, it's all related to the compliance of the rubber molecules. If the rubber molecules are not compliant they don't deform and they don't interact as closely with your hands. Its very similar to tyre grip on the road or track ... the pattern of the grip must also have an impact because a tyre pattern and rubber compound have to be closely matched to achieve performance.
So I am thinking that this probably is illegal if you were to warm your grips as you walked around the course. However it's not illegal if you warm your grips up before you go out and they sit in an insulated bag. I suggest you all do a little test at home .. how much grip you get from the club just out of the garage vs one that has sat on a warm radiator for 10 mins ..

Then can we revisit the question is it illegal ?
Why? If the rules don't say you can't then you may.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
silly question but how would you keep your grips warm in a 3 hour plus round??
Some American chap has a patent .. it’s quite detailed but the clubs create a circuit when put back in the bag.
I was thinking along the lines of a fabric with the matrix in lining the depth of the bag and using some light insulation.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some American chap has a patent .. it’s quite detailed but the clubs create a circuit when put back in the bag.
I was thinking along the lines of a fabric with the matrix in lining the depth of the bag and using some light insulation.
what about a small wood Burner attachment for a trolly and a flume??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: