Rule Changes 01 Jan 2019

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Is your club prepared? How are you educating members? How will it effect your local rules? Do you care?

Our place is currently reviewing all the changes and deciding which, if any, will change/adopt as our local rules, plan is to have them finalised by Oct then drip feed members up until 01 Jan.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The advice given to us by our Area Authority was not to start the process until the last quarter of the year to avoid confusion.

The book on the R&A website is still showing as proof but the one on the USGA is later version.

I have prepared prelim new local rules but until the list of Allowable Local Rules is published I cannot go any further.

Need to know things like how stones in the bunkers will be classified (if at all), immovable obstructions with 2 clubs if a green (sprinkler heads)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have absolutely no idea what my club would do. Based on previous form he'll probably just send one email out to everyone saying these are the new rules and that'll be it. :D

D

Deleted member 16999

The advice given to us by our Area Authority was not to start the process until the last quarter of the year to avoid confusion.

The book on the R&A website is still showing as proof but the one on the USGA is later version.

I have prepared prelim new local rules but until the list of Allowable Local Rules is published I cannot go any further.

Need to know things like how stones in the bunkers will be classified (if at all), immovable obstructions with 2 clubs if a green (sprinkler heads)

I think this is the way ours is going, hence the drip feed starting in the last quarter, work going on in background is good to hear at least.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With the new rule regarding leaving the flag in, will flags have to be a certain size at the hole end? I've seen some which taper and some which dont. Surely the few inches that show above the hole should be a universal thickness otherwise every course will differ? Currently when putting every course uses the same sized hole, but a different size of flag could lead to different results when putting, some drop and some hit the flag and stay out!?

Last edited:

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Is your club prepared? NO How are you educating members? WE'RE NOT How will it effect your local rules? NOT BEEN CONSIDERED Do you care? YES

Our place is currently reviewing all the changes and deciding which, if any, will change/adopt as our local rules, plan is to have them finalised by Oct then drip feed members up until 01 Jan. I WISH
Our Handicap Sec is a bit of a buffer who walks around in a world of his own, I worry what will come of this as he will not prepare in any way for this.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have absolutely no idea what my club would do. Based on previous form he'll probably just send one email out to everyone saying these are the new rules and that'll be it. :D

So you have an idea really. One that's based on his previous. Just saying.....god I'm bored.....

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
With the new rule regarding leaving the flag in, will flags have to be a certain size at the hole end? I've seen some which taper and some which dont. Surely the few inches that show above the hole should be a universal thickness otherwise every course will differ? Currently when putting every course uses the same sized hole, but a different size of flag could lead to different results when putting, some drop and some hit the flag and stay out!?

Well that's the choice of the person who is putting. You can have it left in, but you can have it tended if you want.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I think I read once that there's already 'rules' to cover the flagstick (not quite like club conformance but a lot like club conformance ;) )

So it might already be covered in that (I think it covers other stuff like shape, cross section, dampening/bouncebackability etc)

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our club hold an open forum twice a year, which give the members chance to air any issues they have in a less formal setting than an AGM.

It also gives the club chance to discuss any forthcoming changes i.e. rule changes, course improvements and the like.

With an added bonus it makes our AGMs run a lot smoother

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is your club prepared? How are you educating members? How will it effect your local rules? Do you care?

Our place is currently reviewing all the changes and deciding which, if any, will change/adopt as our local rules, plan is to have them finalised by Oct then drip feed members up until 01 Jan.

As you have posted, the key functions for clubs right now are cross referencing both the applicable LRs going forwards, and any need to change the applicable rule numbering.
Next is consideration of course set up, specifically with regard to the major change in LWH- we have already started preparing the area never previously used (because people dropped on the opposite margin; and are even considering the addition of a new bridge (because it's a 300yd round trip from water, drop, back round to the main fairway....).
Communication will follow R&A material production....absolutely no point in confusing people right now!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having had another read through on the R&A website I see that the old rule 33 and decisions on that rule , Allowable local rules and other items for committee consideration are now going to be in separate book, due for publication later this year.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our most recent pro's newsletter simply reminds us to become aware of the rule changes. Must go check what the club is doing - we're usually pretty good at this sort of stuff