Rule-breaking in society golf

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Reading louise_a's discussion about a rules night for newbies got me thinking. I've noticed particularly in society golf outings that the level of rule-breaking is crazy and I'm sure prizes are being won by players who've conveniently "forgotten" to add on the penalty strokes they incurred.

The question is, to what extent do you pull these people up on their mistakes? Usually offenders just say "aye right" if you point out that they touched the sand in a bunker or something and carry on regardless. The dilemma is that if you let them off with it, cheaters end up winning but if you pull them up, no one wants to play with you! :D

How do you handle this situation..?

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's supposed to be a fun day out with work colleagues or something, who cares if someone brushes the sand with their club before they play in a game like this, just don't have big prizes so it can all be taken the way it should, an enjoyable day out with dinner and a few drinks.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've not played many but most people just want a friendly game. I've certainly seen things that wouldn't pass in a medal but these games are not there to be taken too seriously. Blatant cheating I would pull up but a slight bend for an occasional golfer is something I can live with. If it really bothers you then society golf is not for you.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That is certainly not the case in our society. The handicap system is based on the CSS for each day. We also have a handicap committee that reviews throughout the year. Most members are also members of clubs.
Each day is certainly a fun day but always within the rules.

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends on the society. One that I play in is like a virtual golf club. It's been going since the 50's and everyone plays to rules as near as possible as per a regular club. We even have a 'home' course for a number of fixtures during the year plus some away days. So I'd have no problem being called out for grounding my club in a hazard or vice versa.

The other two that I play in are a little more relaxed, especially for players that are new to the game. That said, when I was a novice player, I learned a lot of golfing technique, etiquette and rules from the more experienced players in these societies.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Reading louise_a's discussion about a rules night for newbies got me thinking. I've noticed particularly in society golf outings that the level of rule-breaking is crazy and I'm sure prizes are being won by players who've conveniently "forgotten" to add on the penalty strokes they incurred.

The question is, to what extent do you pull these people up on their mistakes? Usually offenders just say "aye right" if you point out that they touched the sand in a bunker or something and carry on regardless. The dilemma is that if you let them off with it, cheaters end up winning but if you pull them up, no one wants to play with you! :D

How do you handle this situation..?

Personally if I was playing with someone who I felt had deliberately broken rules or had put a lower score down than they're actual score I would refuse to sign they're card and would let them know why. I would do this regardless of competition, deliberately cheating at golf is just low.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I play in a society that is full of new players to golf and some that only play a few times a year and to say the grasp of the rules is tenuous is doing them a favour. As it's with a couple of my best and longest mates I tend to turn up, turn my golfing head off and just knock it round and enjoy the company. I never take it seriously and so don't get too stressed when rules are broken. I do however point out the mistakes and the correct procedures but they seem to fall on deaf ears and get repeated over and over

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've not played many but most people just want a friendly game. I've certainly seen things that wouldn't pass in a medal but these games are not there to be taken too seriously. Blatant cheating I would pull up but a slight bend for an occasional golfer is something I can live with. If it really bothers you then society golf is not for you.
I wouldn't say it really bothers me. It's just a shame that it's not a level playing field with some counting every stroke and the rest missing a few here and there.I would probably be more worried if I was in with a decent shout of a prize. ;-)

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I play in a society that is full of new players to golf and some that only play a few times a year and to say the grasp of the rules is tenuous is doing them a favour. As it's with a couple of my best and longest mates I tend to turn up, turn my golfing head off and just knock it round and enjoy the company. I never take it seriously and so don't get too stressed when rules are broken. I do however point out the mistakes and the correct procedures but they seem to fall on deaf ears and get repeated over and over
Sounds a decent approach. Part of the problem is that membership of my last society really tailed off after a while and they definitely struggled for numbers towards the end. Pointing out everyone's rule breaches would be unlikely to do much for attendance!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't say it really bothers me. It's just a shame that it's not a level playing field with some counting every stroke and the rest missing a few here and there.I would probably be more worried if I was in with a decent shout of a prize. ;-)

I've not seen people not counting shots. More a case of generous drops, minor irregularities etc. Things that don't really impact your score and are not worth upsetting someone on a fun day. I would correct someone who was trying to miss some shots off their score.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the person who runs our society she won one event last year.. I was in her group that time and on one hole she miscounted.. chip in birdie was her correct she thought was an eagle.. tbh didn't want to kick up a fuss with the person running it also she was delighted with herself lol I was hoping when she got home she would notice on game golf .. I mean I had a look it was apparently a 217 yard 5 iron rather than the correct 70 yard scuff and then a further 5 iron.. forgot to tap (happens to everyone).. first round with it...

you would think a 217 5 iron would stand out when the driver was going 170 max on that day so to me id be like hold on the numbers don't add up

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Id not get too upset with a few wrong drops etc but id probably correct a wrong count so long as the perpetrator wasn't a regular golfer at a club

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I like society golf, its good fun, we play some nice courses and it also brings a decent amount of revenue into those clubs
as for rule breaking, it certainly isn't prevalent , if a rule is broken, it is more likely to be through ignorance, rather than intent,

as for "admin" rules We dont worry about them, we have a chap off 52.5, he was of 53.5, but scored 37 points last week, so got cut for the first time in 2 years
he is 75 has had a minor stroke , doesnt delay play and is good company and he enjoys himself, we just draw lots to see which poor sod has to mark his card :)

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've not seen people not counting shots. More a case of generous drops, minor irregularities etc. Things that don't really impact your score and are not worth upsetting someone on a fun day. I would correct someone who was trying to miss some shots off their score.
A generous drop could easily save a shot or two. :) The classic one is grounding a club in a bunker because while it may not affect a score that much, it should technically be a penalty shot. A "serious" player would most likely add the penalty but some society hackers might not. Could be the difference between winning prize and not...

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good to see that prejudice is alive and kicking on the forum👿

Does the OP, and all those backing him up, honestly think that rules only get 'broken' by society players. I suggest he looks at the rules section to se how many infringements are made by so called real golfers!! He also needs to realise that most society members are also members of clubs.

Now getting off my high horse

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good to see that prejudice is alive and kicking on the forum👿

Does the OP, and all those backing him up, honestly think that rules only get 'broken' by society players. I suggest he looks at the rules section to se how many infringements are made by so called real golfers!! He also needs to realise that most society members are also members of clubs.

Now getting off my high horse
Haha...I am well aware that plenty of club golfers regularly break rules too and am not suggesting they don't. My original post said I'd noticed this *particularly* in society golf, not exclusively. My point was that breaking the rules is *more common* among people who only play a handful of times per year and might not be that concerned about the minutiae of the rules and probably don't even realise their mistakes.

When I was a club member I was regularly surprised by some of the mistakes fellow members made re. the rules. They weren't always that great about repairing divots and pitch marks either. :whistle: