Royal Birkdale

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Spent an Easter weekend up at southport and decided to call into Royal Birkdale for a ball marker for a PP who collects them.
It appears that preparations are well under way for the Open the stands and screens being erected.
The place looks gorgeous and me and Missis T had a bit of a disagreement about when the Art Deco clubhouse was built. Tashyboy was declared the winner whilst having a good natter with one of the guys in the club shop.
It was built in the 1930's along with a circular house and another house. All three being painted white.It was explained that the clubhouse was designed to look like a ship sailing through the dunes, the round house designed like a lighthouse and the other house which is designed to look like a Tug. The "Tug " is owned by non other than Mr Alan Hansan, ex Liverpool player ( who a taxi driver told me he paid £500 K for it).

Anyway I was impressed with the shops prices, the place just oozes class and history, yet the guy in the shop was " Bob on". No airs and graces. We went on our way minus £92 for a ball marker for me PP and a nice bit of kit for me.
Hope it all goes well at Birkdale.

Anyone played it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Spent an Easter weekend up at southport and decided to call into Royal Birkdale for a ball marker for a PP who collects them.
It appears that preparations are well under way for the Open the stands and screens being erected.
The place looks gorgeous and me and Missis T had a bit of a disagreement about when the Art Deco clubhouse was built. Tashyboy was declared the winner whilst having a good natter with one of the guys in the club shop.
It was built in the 1930's along with a circular house and another house. All three being painted white.It was explained that the clubhouse was designed to look like a ship sailing through the dunes, the round house designed like a lighthouse and the other house which is designed to look like a Tug. The "Tug " is owned by non other than Mr Alan Hansan, ex Liverpool player ( who a taxi driver told me he paid £500 K for it).

Anyway I was impressed with the shops prices, the place just oozes class and history, yet the guy in the shop was " Bob on". No airs and graces. We went on our way minus £92 for a ball marker for me PP and a nice bit of kit for me.

Anyone played it.

£92 for a ball marker, Tashy youve lost the plot haha

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Anyone played it.
yes I won the A Tour order of merit there three years ago.
Mate of mines a member play it couple of times a year.

Its a real quality course the grass is just awesome we always say the green surrounds are like billiard tables , the greens are superb but it is one of the hardest courses you can play.

Played it once the week after the open it was brutal and you admire just how good the pros are when you see how it's set up.
Price excludes most working lads but if you ever get the chance to play don't miss out its awesome.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have been lucky enough to play it a number of times. Great course with one of the toughest opening holes anywhere.

What made the place though was the attitude of the people which was tremendous.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in the Birkdale Goblet in 2005, shot 74 in one of the rounds and kept the ball and still have it. The best soup and sandwiches after the first round I've ever had. Just an awesome place and course.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
£92 for a ball marker, Tashy youve lost the plot haha

I spoiled me PP. it was £12 for the marker with all the winners and scores they shot on the marker. Will have to change it this year. Saw a lovely Lyle and scott jumper which Missis T insisted I have. Well I didn't want to disappoint her so that is having a special outing next week.
Was looking at the course card and it is a bit shorter than ours off the back tee. But ours does not have the " wind " or other hazards. I mentioned to the pro that I bet it plays a good bit longer and he said "not always, but at one of the opens they hosted they played a couple of the holes off winter tees coz the pros could not reach the fairway". Welcome to my world boys.
He also mentioned that the score cards are not made until a short time before the open as they are " Bespoke". Had a good ole natter with a down to earth Pro.
Deffo on my " Bucket list".

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went in there the other year when playing Hillside. Had a good chat with the pro and as a member of a Royal club asked if I could have a look at their open collection in the clubhouse. Got a very flat no. Interested to see the they had a keypad to get into the bar (to keep the likes of me out no doubt)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Played it a couple of times - once in amongst a bunch of 'Senior' tennis players relaxing during the weekend before a Wimbledon. Henri Leconte is as 'mad' on the golf course as he is on a tennis court! Mats Wilander struggled to walk on the course, yet could perform magically on a court!

Absolutely fabulous course with some hidden traps! Many of the (earlier) greens are protected by dunes and pines, so the breeze on the shot in from the fairway bears no relation to what is happening at the green!

The Par 3s in particular are excellent!

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Stop at nothing to play it T, you won't regret it. A magnificent course. Played one of my best rounds ever there, 6 over off the back tees in a hoolie with sideways rain. Loved it :D

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We played it for £145 in Mrach including soup and sarnies. Loved the day out, may do it again in the next year or two.

I also got 2 cracking Adidas clima-cool polos, with the Royal Birkdale logo on for £40 for the two. Bargain.

Qbduncan

Medal Winner
Visit site
I played it two weeks before the ladies open was held there it was the hardest course I've ever played! Hated it need to go back when it's not set up so hard and I'm not so bad!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Arrived there and caused instant confusion as they could find no trace of my booking. When I asked for their wifi details to show them my emailed confirmation and they mentioned Royal Birkdale, I only then realised I was not at Hillside - retreated in embarrassment.

D

Deleted member 17920

Played it with Odvan last year during the Summer.

The course was brutally tough, the rough 10 yards from the fairway was shoulder height, the rough next to the green on some holes was borderline unplayable. Hardest course I have ever played, over 5 hours due to the visitors and how tough it played.

And we both birdied the last.

If you get the chance its a must play.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Awesome course, probably the best in England. Played it a couple of times but wouldn't rush back as it just beats you up. Much prefer Royal Lytham up the coast.