Right to have doubts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
There is a player at our club who since October last year has went from 4. Something to +1.2. All seems very good on the face of it. I played with him once when he was off 4 and thought decent player but nothing out of the ordinary for a 4 handicap really. Also another guy I know played with him maybe 10 times and said he never seen him playing very well at All. Anyway i was talking to this other guy the other day and his name came up, another committee member had expressed doubts to me over this guy a couple of weeks prior, turns s out our handicap Secretary had been in touch with the SGU because this guy had something crazy like 12 cuts in a row over the winter on poor greens etc. They guy was picked for a team match and got beat 7&6 off another scratch player, he also pulled out of a scratch tournament as he said he had hurt his ankle but I'd seen him playing after I was told this which was the day before the event. He plays with a 28 handicapper all the time that isn't really known by very many people, I find it a bit weird why a guy off scratch or plus 1 would want to play with a guy who's isn't even on the same planet golf wise and doesn't seek to play with guys his own level or play with anybody else. I hate having pre conceived judgements like this and he seems like a nice guy but I just can't help think it just doesn't all add up.

D

Deleted member 16999

There is a player at our club who since October last year has went from 4. Something to +1.2. All seems very good on the face of it. I played with him once when he was off 4 and thought decent player but nothing out of the ordinary for a 4 handicap really. Also another guy I know played with him maybe 10 times and said he never seen him playing very well at All. Anyway i was talking to this other guy the other day and his name came up, another committee member had expressed doubts to me over this guy a couple of weeks prior, turns s out our handicap Secretary had been in touch with the SGU because this guy had something crazy like 12 cuts in a row over the winter on poor greens etc. They guy was picked for a team match and got beat 7&6 off another scratch player, he also pulled out of a scratch tournament as he said he had hurt his ankle but I'd seen him playing after I was told this which was the day before the event. He plays with a 28 handicapper all the time that isn't really known by very many people, I find it a bit weird why a guy off scratch or plus 1 would want to play with a guy who's isn't even on the same planet golf wise and doesn't seek to play with guys his own level or play with anybody else. I hate having pre conceived judgements like this and he seems like a nice guy but I just can't help think it just doesn't all add up.
Apart from ego, what is gaining from this?
Did he win any comps?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Lots of sweep money and ego I would guess, I play off scratch myself but have never had 12 cuts in a row even when I was off 3 or 4

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don’t see why somebody’s handicap or ability would impact on whether they should play with them or not?

Perhaps they are very good friends and have played golf together for years? Just so happens one is a single figure player and the other guy just isn’t as good? Handicaps reflect your ability as a golfer...

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't mind playing with higher guys on an open day or whatever but would rather play with guys for money round my level for pace of play reasons and also so we can have a competitive game. He only ever plays late on with this same guy, I'm not the only one who thinks something isn't right

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Flip a coin, is he isn't he? At present all you've got is suppositions and bar talk. You might be right and you might be wrong. What you need is evidence either way. Until then, well done him.

As for who he plays with. Maybe its his best buddy from way back. Maybe he's totally relaxed playing with the guy. Maybe he hasn't got his head around his new level yet and is uncomfortable playing with other scratchers.

Equally, you might be 100% right, but as you say, don't go in with a preconceived idea.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Also don't think they are the best of friends as the other guy is a good bit older, he also makes a lot of excuses as to why not available for team games etc all just seems slightly weird

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Also don't think they are the best of friends as the other guy is a good bit older, he also makes a lot of excuses as to why not available for team games etc all just seems slightly weird

Sounds like you've 80% made your mind up. I stopped playing for the scratch team 10 years ago. I just got bored with it. Got asked a good few times to put my name in the hat but it just wasn't the be all for me anymore... doesn't mean I was cheating or had a vanity handicap.

My gut says your 51% right but ask me in 10 minutes and I'll say you're 51% wrong. Evidence or it hasn't happened - you'll torture yourself with doubt otherwise.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Also when I hear our handicap Secretary having to be contacted by the sgu and also the other club member who is on the committee say there were doubts raised, I just can't help think the wrong things. It is all talk at the moment I suppose

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He's giving shots to the course everytime he plays, so hardly claiming unfair advantage. So what if he doesn't want to play in any teams, he might feel he has a life off the course and prefers to play socially but well.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
He's not that old early 30's so don't think he would be at that stage yet, though I'm 27 and am no 1 pick for the team at the moment get asked to play in everything which does wear a bit thin i have to say

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
He's giving shots to the course everytime he plays, so hardly claiming unfair advantage. So what if he doesn't want to play in any teams, he might feel he has a life off the course and prefers to play socially but well.

I do get what your saying but any guys i know 1 and below are all very competitive as it takes a bit of practice to maintain a liw handicap etc

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do get what your saying but any guys i know 1 and below are all very competitive as it takes a bit of practice to maintain a liw handicap etc
I know it takes practice to maintain a good handicap, but knowing a +2 who would rather go fishing and play socially than in the "elitest" teams I would say thats his handicap, and who is he cheating....certainly not anyone hes playing against.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I know it takes practice to maintain a good handicap, but knowing a +2 who would rather go fishing and play socially than in the "elitest" teams I would say thats his handicap, and who is he cheating....certainly not anyone hes playing against.

You do get the odd exception and alot of the time id rather go out on my motorbike than play golf, but I go through phases. Also the wife doesn't like the motorbike

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Cut during the winter ? In Scotland ? I wasn't aware you could get cut in the Winter "up here" and have any effect come the golf season, don't they just revert to ones summer/proper handicap.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Cut during the winter ? In Scotland ? I wasn't aware you could get cut in the Winter "up here" and have any effect come the golf season, don't they just revert to ones summer/proper handicap.

Links course, so basically you can play the full year unless it's frozen

Status
Not open for further replies.