Rickie Fowler Penalty..... Harsh!

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No they didn't. Live at the time the official advised him that it was 1 shot.
That whoever was programming the on screen scoring, or the Sky commentators observations, were confused isn't relevant. To be fair I don't think they were as much confused as not even thinking.

Sorry to disagree but the 'officials' had a discussion after the event and when they'd holed out - then told Fowler it would be just 1 shot after which the scoreboard was readjusted.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
In theory, a lot of these rules seem silly and unnecessarily harsh - but remember the rules exist to try and account for all realistic scenarios and, up until this year, had very few shades of grey. i.e. the rules didn't really care that you didn't gain an advantage, or what a players intent was etc.

Remember if a ball is in play, it's in play. The rules don't account for the fact that the player placed it there and everyone in the group had the chance to see the ball and that they could easily replace it. If he had hit the shot from 200 yards away and it rolled onto the bank and then sat there for 30 or 40 seconds, then rolled into the water - no one would have thought shouldn't get a penalty. Aside from the practicalities of 99.9% of golfers not having camera and spectators who would have witnessed the ball stationery, in either scenario.

You would have to add an additional rule stating that a ball that is placed after 2 failed drop attempts is only in play when the player actually makes contact with it. Maybe there's very few practical issues with that, but I don't see a real need for the change on account of 1 once in a lifetime incident.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Would the player be able to say something along the lines of “this bank is so steep and the grass so closely mown, I don’t think I can safely drop / place the ball so that it will remain at rest, can I play from another location please ?”
The presentation of the course is contributing to the incident in my opinion.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Rickie
Would the player be able to say something along the lines of “this bank is so steep and the grass so closely mown, I don’t think I can safely drop / place the ball so that it will remain at rest, can I play from another location please ?”
The rules already cover this. If you can't place it without it rolling back in to the hazard then you find somewhere you can.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Talk about talking at cross purposes...

I think the discussion is:
Is the rule harsh?
Yes it is harsh, that a ball placed and now in play can run into the hazard and you get penalised again does seem harsh.
But, the rule was applied correctly, so it was not incorrect. But is the rule fair ?
To keep saying, “yes but the rule says xyz” misses the point.
As a man once said “the law is an ass”

Regarding the rule working both ways:
You can drop it and it end up in a hazard or it could run 100 yds down the fairway- so yes, it can work both ways
Not at all it certainly was hard luck, the problem with these threads is we got lots noise about the rule being unfair but no offerings of how to do it differently.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

I think ultimately if there is nowhere within 2 club lengths of where the ball crossed, then you have to look at other options. Usually they are pretty careful about where they put the red stakes and so this is almost never going to be the case, barring a muck up with the set up.

I belive he has the opportunity to go back to where he played the shot from originally and re-play it. Being a red hazard means you can drop within 2 club lengths of where the ball entered or go back to the original position. I think.........

It seems strange that he didn't seem to seriously consider the option of going back. I appreciate he's just hit a chip from the front of the green and it's ultimately gone in the water, but if you take the two options in isolation - he is far far more likely to get up and down from the front of the green, than he is form the back. i.e. The shot he ultimately played was about as good as he could do, and he still had to hole a 15 to 18 footer.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think ultimately if there is nowhere within 2 club lengths of where the ball crossed, then you have to look at other options. Usually they are pretty careful about where they put the red stakes and so this is almost never going to be the case, barring a muck up with the set up.

It seems strange that he didn't seem to seriously consider the option of going back. I appreciate he's just hit a chip from the front of the green and it's ultimately gone in the water, but if you take the two options in isolation - he is far far more likely to get up and down from the front of the green, than he is form the back. i.e. The shot he ultimately played was about as good as he could do, and he still had to hole a 15 to 18 footer.

Agreed. I also thought it was silly dropping there rather than replaying the original pitch.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry to disagree but the 'officials' had a discussion after the event and when they'd holed out - then told Fowler it would be just 1 shot after which the scoreboard was readjusted.
Feel free to disagree - I can only tell you what I watched live and heard from SW at the time (as well as knowing exactly what the score implications were obviously). There was definitely an exchange with the player of why the score was as it was, but at no time did the rules officials say it was anything else (on the live broadcast material).

D

Deleted member 15344

i watched it again this morning and they didn’t show any other interactions about being unsure about what the penalty was - Fowler asked what the penalty was and the ref said 1 shot before he placed again and played the shot

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is definitely the case with these courses that have so many banks to water.
If they marked the penalty areas at the natural slope top there wouldn't be a problem - but they don't like to see players getting to drop green side!
If they had small collars of rough right at the base just inside their currently close markings...but they like the suspense of balls just rolling all the way into the water.

The players have to take some of the issue too. They deliberately choose to drop it where it will definitely roll back into the hazard, so that they get to place it. It's an almost automatic process. Considering where in the available relief area it's least likely to roll back into the water is almost the last thing they aim for!

D

Deleted member 1147

Not at all it certainly was hard luck, the problem with these threads is we got lots noise about the rule being unfair but no offerings of how to do it differently.
I’ll give a suggestion:
If the ball keeps rolling from within the drop area (between the drop taking place & shot being played) the player should find a flat/suitable area (not nearer the hole)in which to drop.
Simples

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I’ll give a suggestion:
If the ball keeps rolling from within the drop area (between the drop taking place & shot being played) the player should find a flat/suitable area (not nearer the hole)in which to drop.
Simples
Hmmmm the rules already cover what to do when then ball won't stay put. I don't see what your offering that's different
.how is what your offering fair, what of the guy Who is ball is in play but sat on the same bank , never been in the water but then suddenly rolls in. Under your scenario ones in the hazard but the other gets a free drop for the same thing.

D

Deleted member 1147

Hmmmm the rules already cover what to do when then ball won't stay put. I don't see what your offering that's different
Did the ball stay put in this instance, between drop/placing and shot?

D

Deleted member 1147

After it was in play it rolled into the hazard.
That’s the point I’m making isn’t it!

My suggestion for a ruling , which you asked for, is that if the ball moves, after a drop/placing, before a shot is played (without interference from the player) the ball is dropped on a flat area no nearer etc

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
The rule should be changed, common sense should prevail. In all situations if a ball moves after a drop regardless of time frame, if the player has not caused it to move it should be dropped again without penalty.
Golf rules have to be applied with common sense in mind and unfortunately there are many situations where common sense or decency seems to be forgotten with regards to rules. None of the rules changes have made the game easier to understand for novices.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He is certainly not the first this has happened to. I remember it happening to Levet on a Euro event a few years back.

I strongly doubt he will be the last.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
The rule should be changed, common sense should prevail. In all situations if a ball moves after a drop regardless of time frame, if the player has not caused it to move it should be dropped again without penalty.
Golf rules have to be applied with common sense in mind and unfortunately there are many situations where common sense or decency seems to be forgotten with regards to rules. None of the rules changes have made the game easier to understand for novices.
It wasn't after a drop.....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Personally I think it is a very fair rule which both a snakes and ladders side.

So you have dropped the ball at the greenside , the ball is at rest, the wind blows it on to the green and in to the hole. How are you going to feel if you are told you must replace the ball where it was?