Just read as well

Very sad - grew up listening to him on the cricket

Met him a few time mid eighties - really lovely guy

RIP

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh to return to the economy of words that the great man used. I much prefer his style to the incessant jabbering of todays commentators. I know that is dictated by the behind the scenes people but Benaud managed intelligent comment in a hand full of words, not book fulls. Quiet time was allowed making his few words even more powerful.

One of the great commentators who transcended rivalry and was absolutely at the top of his profession.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
One of the greats. A very good player, a great Captain and the best cricket commentator.

Very sad news, but what an innings.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Great knock, may he rest in the level of peace he gave so many of us listening to his fantastic commentary.

"Glenn McGrath out for two, just ninety-eight runs short of his century."

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sad news when i heard this on the radio this morning. My summers watching cricket as a child were filled with the brilliant, yet understated, commentary of Richie Benaud. It was the sound of the summer / school holidays.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very sad. Arlott, Benaud and Johnners, the holy trinity of cricket commentators. He'd ration his words and let the pictures tell the story and when those instantly recognisable voice came out of the TV it was always insightful. A legend on and off the cricket pitch and will be sorely missed

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sad news. I too grew up with him doing the TV commentary with Jim Laker during those seemingly endless summer holidays when I was a cricket mad kid. Amazing insight and understanding of the game, seem to recall so many times when he suggested a field change and the next ball went in the air through that very position. Must have been wonderful to play under him as captain.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm beginning to hate threads like these. All my boyhood hero's are going to the great gig in the sky... makes me feel old, and a growing realisation that my name is getting close to the top of the list.

RIP Richie

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
An incredible commentator and allegedly one of the most astute captains Australia have ever had. Definitely one of my favourite commentators of any sport. I'm sure many of use are applauding his innings of 84.

RIP Richie.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Oh to return to the economy of words that the great man used. I much prefer his style to the incessant jabbering of todays commentators. I know that is dictated by the behind the scenes people but Benaud managed intelligent comment in a hand full of words, not book fulls. Quiet time was allowed making his few words even more powerful.

One of the great commentators who transcended rivalry and was absolutely at the top of his profession.

And yet for all his economy of words, I often felt better educated in the finer points of the game listening to him than I do with the more modern commentators and the improved digital information systems we now have.

One of the absolute best, RIP Richie & thanks for the memories.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
A true gent and wonderful commentator.

A commentator with no ego, who said what he saw, was never overly critical and I never once heard him regail in a 'back when I played' type story .......today's commentators (in all sports) should take note.