Ribbed or smooth Sir? ;)

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
As said in another thread connected to this one. It's the way I was taught.

I stand by what I said though round are they way to go if you want open /close the club face. Not only for fades and draws but also for changing the club face when it comes to wedge shots.

A ribbed grip will only let you grip the club in one position (unless you make absulutely sure you do not let go of the grip with your left hand) and for me if the grip has been put on square it means a closed club face in my hands . We all have different hands and a ribbed grip for someone else may mean the club face is square
The reminders as they have been called since the 40's are very minor and will not stop you from gripping the club in any orientation you wish, they are called reminders as it's just a very small ridge which gives people peace of mind they are gripping in the same place every time

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The reminders as they have been called since the 40's are very minor and will not stop you from gripping the club in any orientation you wish, they are called reminders as it's just a very small ridge which gives people peace of mind they are gripping in the same place every time

Reminders come in different degrees of subtlety, take my Fred Daly Avons for instance!
(Yes, they are pretty old and petrified :))

Fred Daly Avon reminder grip.jpg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I know, on a personal basis from having it happen many a time, if I relax my grip with a ridged grip the club will go to the same position and not my intended position. Maybe it comes from being taught to have a very light grip on the club in the first place.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I know, on a personal basis from having it happen many a time, if I relax my grip with a ridged grip the club will go to the same position and not my intended position. Maybe it comes from being taught to have a very light grip on the club in the first place.
I think most people have a fairly light grip, i hold a club with the same pressure I hold a knife and fork never had a ribbed grip re-position itself of it's own accord, golf companys would make a killing if they could Invent a self correcting grip lol

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think most people have a fairly light grip, i hold a club with the same pressure I hold a knife and fork never had a ribbed grip re-position itself of it's own accord, golf companys would make a killing if they could Invent a self correcting grip lol

Just shows no two hands are the same. I suppose it very depends on where all our ridges , length between finger joints etc must contribute greatly to the variation as to what happens when we grip things.

The grip pressure I was taught was try to imagine you are holding a very small animal and you do not want injure it.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Golf Pride have released a new range of ribbed grips called Align.

I have used ribbed for as long as I can remember but they have become less popular over the years, anyone use them or tempted to try this new range?

Available in tour velvet or multicompound

https://www.golfpride.com/grips/tour-velvet-align/
Have one on the driver and it's fine.

Pretty expensive for what it is compared with usual tour velvet though.

PS found if I adjusted my driver setting it was not aligned

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've just had 2 of the multicompound ones fitted to my driver and driving iron. First impressions they feel really nice. I don't change my driver settings so no problems there. Quite fancy getting my irons done too but they are £13 each :eek:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If anybody wants some tour velvets with ridges let me know I have about half a dozen around the place. Incorrectly supplied to me and I could not be bothered to return them as I only realised a few months later.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just had 2 of the multicompound ones fitted to my driver and driving iron. First impressions they feel really nice. I don't change my driver settings so no problems there. Quite fancy getting my irons done too but they are £13 each :eek:
Use a piece of string, when you regrip them, tape the string on under the double sided tape in your desired position. This is how it was done for years, you can also use a thin metal wire