Ribbed or smooth Sir? ;)

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

Golf Pride have released a new range of ribbed grips called Align.

I have used ribbed for as long as I can remember but they have become less popular over the years, anyone use them or tempted to try this new range?

Available in tour velvet or multicompound

https://www.golfpride.com/grips/tour-velvet-align/

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15717

You say recently released....they’ve been available for quite a while!

I have recently gone to ‘normal’ ribbed tour velvets and love them, so can’t see me changing any time soon

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have recently gone to ‘normal’ ribbed tour velvets and love them, so can’t see me changing any time soon
Fixed for you, would hate to upset the pedants ;)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've got a few.

For instance Avon Golf Pride ribbed on my circa 1950 John Letters, Fred Daly, Masters Model irons, hopefully not the original grips (which were probably leather wraps) although I'm not sure when they were fitted, they're certainly petrified.

Got a few woods with them on as well.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Yep they have been available for just over a year so nothing new, some club manufacturers have release at least 3 new drivers and 3 sets of new clubs since theses grip were available so nothing recent about them 🤔

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
I like the idea and would like them OE fit. I'd be worried about them being fitted aftermarket as only a few degrees off defeats the point of them.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I may be wrong but I believe that the OP is partially correct.

Yes the Align grip has been available for a while but I think the Align Tour Velvet is new to the market.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Plain round for me. If you want to produce draws and fades you have to move the club round in your grip. If the grip has a ridge it is difficult to maintain anything other than a 'square' grip slightly release the pressure and the club will only sit one way.

Grips with ribs are nothing new there was a time when it was difficult to buy a grip without one. I used to have my grips fitted upside down so the grip was not affected by the ridge.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought there were ovalised grips out for a long time, which for me just dont work with my hamds. Plain round for me, with the biggest issue with grips with some sort of alignment or rib is the need to be totally exact when fitting a new grip, and the issues that can cause.
Look ok though, I will say that.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Prefer plain round grips as I usually have them logo down. Though the grips I have on my irons now are ribbed because I never noticed when I purchased them, but for £1.50 a grip they were a good buy and suppose I haven't noticed much difference.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've got a few.

For instance Avon Golf Pride ribbed on my circa 1950 John Letters, Fred Daly, Masters Model irons, hopefully not the original grips (which were probably leather wraps) although I'm not sure when they were fitted, they're certainly petrified.

Got a few woods with them on as well.

Apologies for going off track a little but I'm thrilled to have just picked up a putter to go with these irons. :D

John Letters, Fred Daly putter.jpg

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
Had them on my irons for most of the season, find them very useful for actually feeling the grip in the righ place in my palm, I noticed I was gradually slipping into old habits

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They're not that new. I saw them when I was getting my old driver regripped several months ago. He showed it to me and I had a feel of one, but it didn't work for me as I have a strong grip, so the alignment ridge being down the middle didn't really do anything for me. Might be something that only works with a neutral grip.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
thought was going to be a thread about crisps...

Hadn't actually heard of ribbed grips - are they the modern equivalent of corded grips?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Plain round for me. If you want to produce draws and fades you have to move the club round in your grip. If the grip has a ridge it is difficult to maintain anything other than a 'square' grip slightly release the pressure and the club will only sit one way.

Grips with ribs are nothing new there was a time when it was difficult to buy a grip without one. I used to have my grips fitted upside down so the grip was not affected by the ridge.
Not true, you can hit draws and fades by changing just swingpath which is actually the most common way to do. It's the face to path differential which makes the ball curve

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not true, you can hit draws and fades by changing just swingpath which is actually the most common way to do. It's the face to path differential which makes the ball curve

As said in another thread connected to this one. It's the way I was taught.

I stand by what I said though round are they way to go if you want open /close the club face. Not only for fades and draws but also for changing the club face when it comes to wedge shots.

A ribbed grip will only let you grip the club in one position (unless you make absulutely sure you do not let go of the grip with your left hand) and for me if the grip has been put on square it means a closed club face in my hands . We all have different hands and a ribbed grip for someone else may mean the club face is square