Research Green Light from Michael Harris

amirhb

Visit site
First of all, many thanks to John0 for suggesting that I write to Michael & thanks to him for allowing me to post on this forum regarding a book I am developing.

My reason for posting is because I want to make sure that the book is as helpful as it can possibly be to my fellow golfer.

I’d like to be clear that none of this input will be published in the book, nor shared in any other forum or outlet – it is purely for research purposes. To put it another way, what is said on the forum, stays on the forum!

I have played the game for close to 20 years and ‘back in the day’ I was playing to around 9. Now (due to becoming a father and running a business) its somewhat higher than that…

But the technical side of golf is not my speciality and is not what my book is focused on. It is about getting the most out of what you have through creating focus, confidence and certainty when standing over a shot – any shot. In my experience, these 3 factors are key to playing great golf and enjoying your game more.

The book is designed to be quick to read and easy to use, and of course, effective.

What I’d like to know is:

- Does this sound like something that would interest you/be of benefit to your game?
- If not, why not?
- What is your biggest problem around the game of golf?
- Ideally, what do you want from a round of golf? Do you achieve this?

There is no need for you to answer every question – but if you had some input on one or two, that would be very helpful.

Although I have written quite a bit here, I've avoided going into mass detail, so if you would like any further info about anything, just ask.

Thanks for reading :)
Amir

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
- Does this sound like something that would interest you/be of benefit to your game? - Personally I would say I wouldn't buy it as I don't think it would help my game.
- If not, why not? - See answers below
- What is your biggest problem around the game of golf? - not enough time to play/practice due to work/family
- Ideally, what do you want from a round of golf? Do you achieve this? - enjoyment and a bit of exercise. I've reached a stage where I'm no longer interested in beating myself up trying to get my handicap down as I just don't have enough time to do it. And once I accepted that the game became a lot more enjoyable.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does this sound like something that would interest you/be of benefit to your game?
I doubt it.

If not, why not?
It sounds like a psychology book and I doubt it could contain anything that hasn't already been written and I haven't already read. Unless of course you can convince me that this one is different?

What is your biggest problem around the game of golf?
Time to practice

Ideally, what do you want from a round of golf?
To shoot the best score I can.

Do you achieve this?
Sometimes, that is all we can hope for.

D

Deleted member 1147

What I’d like to know is:

1 - Does this sound like something that would interest you/be of benefit to your game?
2 - If not, why not?
3 - What is your biggest problem around the game of golf?
4 - Ideally, what do you want from a round of golf? Do you achieve this?

1 - not really
2 - I'm not big on reading golf books, I prefer novels. Also, golf psychology is something I'm sceptical about. The problems in my game centre around my swing going wrong rather than my mind.
3 - My biggest problems are physical fitness/back issues, lack of time, & laziness, and the quality of the course I'm playing.
4 - What I want from golf is to relax and have fun, yet push myself to improve and go as low as I can. I do tend to enjoy the game and slowly but surely I'm improving (certainly in consistency).

Good luck with the book.

amirhb

Visit site
Hi guys - thanks so much for the quick responses - really useful to get your thoughts.

Gil seeing as you're from Derby, I take it you know Morley Hays & Keddleston golf clubs?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Does this sound like something that would interest you/be of benefit to your game?
Possibly but I am already working with my teaching pro and with pre-shot golf.com

If not, why not?
As above. It's an area I am already working on and happy with the input I am getting

Short game - got a winter programme in place to improve this

To shoot as low as I can every time I play.

Do you achieve this?
If I am a couple of shots over my handicap but have hit it nicely that is usually enough for me. Buffer zone is always acceptable

D

Deleted member 17920

- Does this sound like something that would interest you/be of benefit to your game? Cant see it myself.
- If not, why not? There is plenty already on the market. To many books flooding the market
- What is your biggest problem around the game of golf? Coaching is too expensive.
- Ideally, what do you want from a round of golf? Do you achieve this? To enjoy it and get some exercise.

D

Deleted member 1147

Hi guys - thanks so much for the quick responses - really useful to get your thoughts.

Gil seeing as you're from Derby, I take it you know Morley Hays & Keddleston golf clubs?

Yes, I've played Morley a few times. As for Kedleston, I was a junior member there for 8 years, and have recently re-joined there on 6 day membership. Shall be a full member next year.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nope , unless it was recommended by someone i know well that had read and benefited from it ..

(Complimentary Book for say 3 or 4 selected forumers to read & review wouldn't harm this at the time)

If not, why not?
Not into reading self teaching books ,

Time to practice

To play as best i can , lower my handicap if possible .. but if these 2 lead to lack of enjoyment as a result (as in earlier this year) i will consider packing it in .. so enjoyment is the main thing with the 1st 2 comments making this alot easier :D

Do you achieve this?
Play the best i can 75% of the time .. lower my handicap = not enough ... Enjoyment = 95% of the time ..

Good Luck

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does this sound like something that would interest you/be of benefit to your game? No.
- If not, why not? From your description, it doesn't seem that it will tell me anything that Bob Rotella, or any other sports psychologist, hasn't already said. And I'm not convinced that they're telling us anything we can't work out for ourselves anyway.
- What is your biggest problem around the game of golf? Putting.
- Ideally, what do you want from a round of golf? To break par.
- Do you achieve this? Not yet.

Last edited:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I doubt it.

If not, why not?
It sounds like a psychology book and I doubt it could contain anything that hasn't already been written and I haven't already read. Unless of course you can convince me that this one is different?

Time to practice

To shoot the best score I can.

Do you achieve this?
Sometimes, that is all we can hope for.

Time to practice?
Your on here for hours:confused::D

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
- Does this sound like something that would interest you/be of benefit to your game?
- If not, why not?

I doubt it, I've done lots on psychology and don't have problems in my head regarding golf

- What is your biggest problem around the game of golf?

Finding enough time to keep making the improvements I need, old age and health don't help

- Ideally, what do you want from a round of golf? Do you achieve this?

I want enjoyment, a challenge, commeradiere, excersise

yes, most of the time

blackpuddinmonster

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE SOMETHING THAT WOULD INTEREST YOU;

Not really, never been a fan of head doctor stuff.

BE OF BENEFIT TO YOUR GAME;
No idea, i've never tried it.

IF NOT, WHY NOT;
I think books like this either over complicate matters, or state "the bleedin obvious".
Of course having never read one......??

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM AROUND THE GAME OF GOLF?
Cost/time. Desire to practice, i'd rather just play.

IDEALLY, WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM A ROUND OF GOLF?
Peace, quiet, fun, play well, time to think. In no particular order, it depends what mood i'am in.

DO YOU ACHIEVE THIS?
I've never left the golf club feeling worse than when i arrived. So yes i guess.

amirhb

Visit site
Morning chaps, many thanks to all of you who took the time to give your honest thoughts - its very much appreciated and useful. Perhaps when the book is written I'll return and offer a handful of complimentary copies, as suggested by bladeplayer to get further thoughts on the finished piece and perhaps a review or two.

If any of you are playing this weekend, I hope you have a great round!

Thanks again
Amir