Requesting a Handicap cut

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone come across or dealt with this kind of request from 27/28 handicappers, or others, maybe because the person is playing better at the end of qualifiers so will murder the shortened winter course & cause others to avoid playing with him.
Can it be dealt with under 'General Play'?
Interested to hear any comments on such a situation & solutions for it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Has anyone come across or dealt with this kind of request from 27/28 handicappers, or others, maybe because the person is playing better at the end of qualifiers so will murder the shortened winter course & cause others to avoid playing with him.

My experience is that most clubs will not look at cuts that arn't supported by a card in a qualifying competition or a signed supplementary. I asked for my card to be used for a general play adjustment from last years H4H and they didn't want to know!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why should they get a cut if they cant do it in a qualifier. We have high handicappers killing it in our winter comps but come the new season I expect most will be back in the pack.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can said player/a just not put a couple of sups in?

Perhaps the suggestion is that there no qualifiers as the course is shortened enough (or too many temps etc.) for supplementaries to not be able to be played under qualifying conditions.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

If other players are reluctant to play with high handicappers when there is a shortened course which they are "murdering", the club is perfectly at liberty to play competitions with 7/8 or 3/4 handicaps if conditions for qualifiers don't exist.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have this problem at the moment, I'm playing well under my h/c, just worked out for my last four rounds in the past 2 weeks I'm -22 h/c!

Most the rounds have been on shorter courses and just friendly games but I still feel kind of bad as I'm playing a good few shots under my h/c in every round.

I have contemplated asking for a cut but I might as well wait as our season starts in a few weeks and we will be back on a full course for our comps so then I will truley know if i warrant a cut.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have this problem at the moment, I'm playing well under my h/c, just worked out for my last four rounds in the past 2 weeks I'm -22 h/c!

Most the rounds have been on shorter courses and just friendly games but I still feel kind of bad as I'm playing a good few shots under my h/c in every round.

I have contemplated asking for a cut but I might as well wait as our season starts in a few weeks and we will be back on a full course for our comps so then I will truley know if i warrant a cut.

If you want a cut before our King of Kings at Rockcliffe , then that's fine by me
Take 6 off your handicap
That should do it

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Handicap Committees are unlikely to approve such a request, for all the reasons mentioned earlier. There is an 'out' where the initial assessment might be deemed too high and a reassessment can be made, but that is relatively rare.

Improvements by those who practice over Winter can cause a few 'blips' in both early social games and competitions. The ESR process is a way of mitigating those distortions.

There is nothing to stop anyone playing off a lower handicap though, so that's the way I'd advise anyone embarassed about their improvement :)rolleyes:) to do - if there is not already a 'swindle handicap system' in place.

Hope the improvement continues!

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should have kept my big mouth shut! Haha.

Well if I'd known u were playing 5 or 6 (average) under your current handicap at the moment, I'd not have bothered paying my balance for Rockcliffe.......
Cos I know I won't/can't shoot 5 or 6 under mine

Bandits eh.........pah............;)

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well if I'd known u were playing 5 or 6 (average) under your current handicap at the moment, I'd not have bothered paying my balance for Rockcliffe.......
Cos I know I won't/can't shoot 5 or 6 under mine

Bandits eh.........pah............;)

A winter of practice and hard work is paying off at the minute.

But Medal format around a full length course with a card in my hand is a different story though.

Just pray you don't shoot 5/6 under and win it or the bandit accusations will be coming from me! Haha.

Last edited:

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha
Me.......??
Doubt it mate
1st round of the year was on Sunday at Leeds
Rockcliffe may just bite my ass badly
Playing for fun , me , and just to get out a bit
Not expecting anything
Just be nice to play it again , only played the once with u , winter 2012