Replacement car key

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wifey broke the key on her 2008 Nissan Qashqai today. It's a fob with hands free access and ignition and built in metal old school key.

Best options to get a replacement - I'm assuming main dealer is mahoosively expensive?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wifey broke the key on her 2008 Nissan Qashqai today. It's a fob with hands free access and ignition and built in metal old school key.

Best options to get a replacement - I'm assuming main dealer is mahoosively expensive?

I am guessing, and it really is guessing, but for security I would have thought that main dealers were the only option. I got the last one I needed from there and it was mahaoosively expensive (3 figures)

RichA

Visit site
Depends which bit is broken.
If the electronics and metal shaft of the key are intact you can switch them into a new plastic or rubber body from eBay. I did it with a key for my 2008 Saab years ago. It cost £4.99 and lasted for the following few years I owned the car.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Depends which bit is broken.
If the electronics and metal shaft of the key are intact you can switch them into a new plastic or rubber body from eBay. I did it with a key for my 2008 Saab years ago. It cost £4.99 and lasted for the following few years I owned the car.
Thanks - the metal bit has snapped off, but TBH the whole unit was already a bit knackered, so hoping to replace the whole thing if cost reasonable

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks - the metal bit has snapped off, but TBH the whole unit was already a bit knackered, so hoping to replace the whole thing if cost reasonable
The key/fob will need to be coded to the car, but depending on your car and its manufacturer some will need to recode all your keys to the car.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have seen some outlets such as Timpsons offer car key replacement services
you can find out if there is a store near you on their website