Replace both wedges?

stanleyboy

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am looking for a new wedge to go alongside my 54', I play a 54' callaway, should I get the same model in different loft or does it not matter that much?

I was also thinking of replacing the 54' cally and going 52 & 56/58 as my PW is 45'. Basically what I am asking is if buying 2 or more wedges are you best sticking to the same brand and model and do the gaps seem reasonable?

Thanks Stanleyboy

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am looking for a new wedge to go alongside my 54', I play a 54' callaway, should I get the same model in different loft or does it not matter that much?

I was also thinking of replacing the 54' cally and going 52 & 56/58 as my PW is 45'. Basically what I am asking is if buying 2 or more wedges are you best sticking to the same brand and model and do the gaps seem reasonable?

Thanks Stanleyboy

My personal opinion is to stick with 3 wedges, rather than 4. Four wedges seems excessive, as you could learn to hit half and 3/4 shots, for example.

Good spacing is preferable, subject to *actually* how far you hit each wedge. If you don't know, then this needs to be known. PW is 45 is strongish, thus maybe 50 and 56 could be good.

The norm is to stick with same brand as you get consistent grooves, weight, shaft, etc. However, this isn't set in stone as you may want a 56/58 that is exclusive for sand play, etc.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I would try to stick to the same model, I tried mixing them by adding a Mizuno 56, but it goes as far as my vokey 52 so dropped both and added a vokey 54 dont over complicate things

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
SB, matched wedges are a total god send. I used to play with a vokey 52 and a TM ZTP 60*. the TM was a lot heavier than the vokey, and the shaft on the 60 was about an inch longer. when flitting back and forth between the two wedges it was impossible to get any consistency.

I finally decided to drop the pair and went for a set of matched mizzy MPT10 wedges and you can bounce back and forth between the two almost too easy, shafts are identical length, heads are the same weight, and it make consistency in gaps.

If i compared the MPT10 52* and the vokey 52*, the MPT10 is around 10 yards shorter, so it shows how much brands change, as that with shaft options, grip options and weight options and its a mine field. all wedges are different, but a matched set to me was a big must.