Repair of hole Rule 13.1.c

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The above rule states " damage to the hole may be repaired before or after players putt"

However at the end of the paragraph it quote quotes "damage on the putting green" does not include any damage that result from:

Natural wear of the hole.

This seems to be contradictory but perhaps I have mis read.

Would somebody please clarify? If I have it wrong apologies

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
"Damage" might include from a ball striking the side of the hole or from a flagstick hitting the side of the hole when being removed or replaced.

Jules

Visit site
Clarifications in the rules, gives an example. eg if edge of hole broken / damaged by removing/replacing the flagstick. That can be repaired..before putting out..

salfordlad

Visit site
For sure, it may be challenging to distinguish natural wear from person- or outside influence-induced damage. All we can do is excercise judgment to attempt to separate ok to repair or not ok. I think our best guide is does it appear to be from one of those listed four bullet points (13.1c(2)), or something very similar - or not. If there is an official/Committee bod about, make them earn their big bucks (snicker) and you can also call for the views of other players in your group but you may simply have to back your judgment. Problem issues that repeat are worth taking up with the Committee.