Renationalising

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me services only work well in the private sector where there is true competition and the public are able to change supplier relatively regularly and without hastle.

i am assuming u r over generalising.. agree that services work if there is competition, but i guess it is dependent on the sector. Would we like NHS to be privatised.. i am assuming not. However, those can afford it are jumping the queue by going private.

Would i like to see the return of nationalisation in every service - probably not. While Southwestern trains are ridiculed, they have done a much better job than most franchises. I would not like to see the return of slammer door trains or buses on tracks. So yes privatisation has helped, but not in every service.

IMHO, privatisation works provided you define the boundaries and set the KPIs accordingly. Otherwise, private operaters can turn into private equity type operations that strip off the asset and then the govt becomes the operator of the last resort. Equally, Govt (irrespective of the party) can step in and define a good service and deliver it. Equally it needs to invest in the people and their careers,, give good working conditions and decent pay.

Any idea how the Germans, Japanese or Nordic countries run their effiicent and clean train service?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
i am assuming u r over generalising.. agree that services work if there is competition, but i guess it is dependent on the sector. Would we like NHS to be privatised.. i am assuming not. However, those can afford it are jumping the queue by going private.

Would i like to see the return of nationalisation in every service - probably not. While Southwestern trains are ridiculed, they have done a much better job than most franchises. I would not like to see the return of slammer door trains or buses on tracks. So yes privatisation has helped, but not in every service.

IMHO, privatisation works provided you define the boundaries and set the KPIs accordingly. Otherwise, private operaters can turn into private equity type operations that strip off the asset and then the govt becomes the operator of the last resort. Equally, Govt (irrespective of the party) can step in and define a good service and deliver it. Equally it needs to invest in the people and their careers,, give good working conditions and decent pay.

Any idea how the Germans, Japanese or Nordic countries run their effiicent and clean train service?

A little perhaps, pwerhaps I should have added essential to services. Health care would not work well in the private sector as it would not result in real choice for the majority of people as costs for full cover would be excessive. You only have to look at the USA and realise they pay on average twice what we contribute for generally poorer outcomes.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Coming soon, Great British Rail

Like the old days I hope when fares were cheap and trains were actually fun.
There was no getting into your head stuff like the repetitive automated announcements how you can buy a delicious range of snacks from coach B with no mention of the exorbitant price.

Steam trains ran on time on main and branch lines.
Then there was the IC 125 and one of the best adverts ever.

sunshine

Visit site
Like the old days I hope when fares were cheap and trains were actually fun.
There was no getting into your head stuff like the repetitive automated announcements how you can buy a delicious range of snacks from coach B with no mention of the exorbitant price.

Steam trains ran on time on main and branch lines.
Then there was the IC 125 and one of the best adverts ever.

What a classic advert :D

Although I don't understand why there was a scantily clad woman at the end.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
my train operating company have been relieved of their duties after not paying £25M profits back to the Government

My understanding is they "hid" the 25m so they didn't have to pay it back? If that's true, it sounds like corporate fraud, and hopefully jail time for the perpetrators.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My understanding is they "hid" the 25m so they didn't have to pay it back? If that's true, it sounds like corporate fraud, and hopefully jail time for the perpetrators.

25m,.. sounds like about 10 missold peak our tickets.... loose change in the scheme of things.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Turning back time.. looks like we are slowly renationalising a few things. This does not mean it is a good or bad thing.

1) Railways >> Franchises have failed, some of the most expensive train tickets in the world now >> Coming soon, Great British Rail
2) Energy cos >> Price shock, customers in lurch... >> will the govt step in?
3) Petrol cos >> ??

In sectors, the markets have been good (telecom, Banks?), in others Social approach has worked but creaking (health/NHS). Should we turn the dial back and look at renationalising our key national infrastructure?

As per Paul \james--yes-public interest

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I am with Bulb... seems to be a decent co. I was under the impression it was fairly big. Looks like the 'nationalisation' vulture is circulating... hopefully rumours..
https://inews.co.uk/news/energy-pro...mbles-rescue-firm-supplies-1-7m-homes-1211216
I was with Bulb until last week.

I think they are in trouble too. They have been pushing my monthly DD up saying I need to build credit for the winter. I've got a smart meter, so why not just bill me for what I use every month?

The final straw was when they tried to go from £100 to £124 per month and removed the ability to lower my DD payment in the app. It appears they are trying to build capital from their customers.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was with Bulb until last week.

I think they are in trouble too. They have been pushing my monthly DD up saying I need to build credit for the winter. I've got a smart meter, so why not just bill me for what I use every month?

The final straw was when they tried to go from £100 to £124 per month and removed the ability to lower my DD payment in the app. It appears they are trying to build capital from their customers.

my DD is up to £140 on dual fuel... but i have about 300 quid in credit!!. While having a smart meter too..

out of interest, who did u move to?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
When I asked Bristol Energy why they were increasing my DD when I'm in credit I was told that they like people to be in credit!
Still puzzled.

D-S

Visit site
my DD is up to £140 on dual fuel... but i have about 300 quid in credit!!. While having a smart meter too..

out of interest, who did u move to?
I am exactly the same with Bulb, they asked for DD to increase from 100 to 138 but I am 400+ in credit. Last info from them a month or so was that costs should be increasing just over £5 per week.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am exactly the same with Bulb, they asked for DD to increase from 100 to 138 but I am 400+ in credit. Last info from them a month or so was that costs should be increasing just over £5 per week.

random..

RichA

Visit site
I'm with Outfox the Market. In the middle of last winter, when my account balance should be at its lowest, I was £400 in credit. It took weeks for them to give me my own money back, but they still didn't reassess my monthly payments.
Hopefully, they've got enough of mine and their other customers money in the bank to keep them in business through this ongoing issue.