Reg v stiff shafts.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Need a bit of advice please. Went round to see a mate the other day (yes I do have one). He was just on his way out to play a round. So I offered to walk round with him as I had no clubs with. So anyway to cut a long story short. He had a spare set in his shed which I used. So this is my question. I normally use a reg shaft and have a nice draw on the woods. A good distance on my irons but direction not always as good as it should be.

The clubs I borrowed had stiff shafts. On the woods I now hit a fade and was fighting a bit of a slice if I did not take care. But the Irons from the 6-wedge I hit like an arrow spot on everytime. But around 10yrds shorter than my irons. I liked the stiff shaft in the irons but the reg shaft in the woods.

So would it be a good idea to change my irons to stiff, keeping reg ones in my woods. Or would this mess my swing up in the long run in some way.

Sorry if this rambles abit. But I cannot get it out of my mind.

Thanks in advance for any views. Am I being daft or what??

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
You don't have to have the same flex in woods and irons - Tour pros often don't.

Part of the reason is that the flex is not necessarily the same between different brands even if they both say 'stiff'.

Fit each part of the set separately and choose the shafts which give the best results, regardless of what they say on them. If you know a good fitter, they can also finesse the flex to give you in-between flexes. If Reg is too weak but Stiff is too strong, you can get intermediate flexes somewhere in the middle.

2004Champ

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As Ethan says, nothing wrong with having different flexes.

I've got extra stiff in my driver, stiff in my 3 wood and hybrid, and regular in my irons.