Reed vs Chamblee suit.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just seen the below on another platform, given that he was rumoured to have been up to antics in his college years will it stand up.

In a stunning development, Patrick Reed is the latest LIV rebel to turn to the courts after the 2018 Masters champion filed a defamation lawsuit against Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee.

Reed is seeking $1.07 billion in damages after alleging Chamblee and the Golf Channel have conspired with the PGA Tour to defame him “since he was 23 years old” with a series of “malicious” attacks.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shouldn’t this be in the LiV discussion?

It’s a complete separate topic, allegedly a personal suit against a media channel. That part is fact.

A few of us have a feeling it’s got LIV involvement but that’s purely speculation he definitely two separate threads.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Not quite so black and white in America - they have a history of this sort of thing!
Feels like the recent WAG nonsense in the UK! Should it go that far can imagine the legal team ripping into Reed, but also isn't Chamblee also known for "speak first, think after" behaviour - so also could be torn into.
More soap opera!

D

Deleted member 1147

Seen a fair bit on twitter about the lawyer he’s using.
Appears to have a history of bringing frivolous claims against all sorts of “names”

Swango1980

Visit site
The irony of bringing this to court is that it brings it all out in the open, thus defaming Reed even more. Firstly, for anyone that missed the comments before, they'll now get to hear them. Time and time again. Secondly, for those that judge him badly for even trying to sue for such a thing.

I also wonder where the figure of $1.07 billion dollars comes from? Apparently Tiger Woods net worth is about $1 billion. Would this imply Patrick Reed (net worth $9 million) believe that if it wasn't for Chamblee, he could have been as financially successful as Woods? Maybe a simplistic way to look at it, but just seems an odd thing to do. Maybe the LIV guys have pushed him into it, as they are determined to find as many ways as possible to hurt the PGA Tour, and those related to it.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I've seen some figurers on Twitter (Make of that what you will) none as high as a Billion.
Not a big fan of Reed but that Chamblee is a bit of a mouthy git as well.

Swango1980

Visit site
I've seen some figurers on Twitter (Make of that what you will) none as high as a Billion.
Not a big fan of Reed but that Chamblee is a bit of a mouthy git as well.
If successful, I bet the likes of Harry Maguire and Fred will be seeking damages from Roy Keane and other pundits who have criticised them. It could make them extremely wealthy.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got no dog in this fight as I dislike both of them but how can Reed claim that it's because of him joining LIV and also claim that the comments go back to when he was 23?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The irony of bringing this to court is that it brings it all out in the open, thus defaming Reed even more. Firstly, for anyone that missed the comments before, they'll now get to hear them. Time and time again. Secondly, for those that judge him badly for even trying to sue for such a thing.

I also wonder where the figure of $1.07 billion dollars comes from? Apparently Tiger Woods net worth is about $1 billion. Would this imply Patrick Reed (net worth $9 million) believe that if it wasn't for Chamblee, he could have been as financially successful as Woods? Maybe a simplistic way to look at it, but just seems an odd thing to do. Maybe the LIV guys have pushed him into it, as they are determined to find as many ways as possible to hurt the PGA Tour, and those related to it.

I think it pretty much comes from the country of origin from wherever the report of the story is being made/posted. It appears its for 750m US dollars which is a bigger number in Australian dollars

i.e 750m USD is 1.07m AUD :sneaky:

Swango1980

Visit site
I think it pretty much comes from the country of origin from wherever the report of the story is being made/posted. It appears its for 750m US dollars which is a bigger number in Australian dollars

i.e 750m USD is 1.07m AUD :sneaky:
Good point, yet even US $750 million is an absurd amount for Reed, even despite his claims in the past to be the best golfer in the world.

I'd understand it a bit more if the country of origin was Iran, as 1.07 billion would be equivalent to US $25,300 . Still a bit too much for Reed, but at least more understandable.